Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by orhan alkan <or...@sun.com> on 2002/10/08 12:15:26 UTC

JNDI/LDAP back to basics

Sorry guys,
I have problem with sending attachment to the alias. This the last try.
If it fails again I'll send a link to web page.
Regards
Orhan Alkan

Hi All,
It is nice to hear that we passed item 1. I'd like to add  a few words
into movitivation section; more than simya ldap taglib has been
downloaded more than 1000. We received many good feed back from the
users. They can be divided into two section;first part are naive users,
they are intrested/told to develop application that it have to talk to
LDAP servers somehow. They were happy with our solution because it hides
to code and simplifies to access LDAP. Second part are advance users but
they are lasy to reinvent to wheel, they are happy.
In last 3 years, almost all organization has been implemented
directories for intranet/extranet purposes. you can't believe how many
organization developed at least one phone book application using either
java or microsoft technologies. I also developed a user administration
solution.
As a result, every body is looking for the the solution that are simple
and flexible. I aggree with Tod in this respect.

I prepared a comparision list you'll find in the attachment. The list is
not complete. It can be extended. It doesn't includes details about
Authentication features such as SASL, Kerberos and SSL support.
Generally, solutions can be catagorized into two parts;
1- JNDI taglibraries; they are very generall purpose. They only provides
basic search and lookup features.
2- LDAP taglibraries; they are focused on directory operations.

That is obivous (for me) that there is requirement for jndi taglib that
can be used with all SP(s).

Regards
ORhan Alkan

Name search/
lookup
delete
modify
add
LDAP/JNDI
Comments

servlersuite
www.servletsuite.com

JNDI
They have DSML option. Free

virtues
www.virtues.com
LDAP
Commercial.

Sun
www.sun.com
LDAP
Design for SuneOne Directory specifically. Comes with directory resource
kit. They provide similiar library with application server. Free.

Simya Consulting
www.simya.net
LDAP
works with any directory server. Free.