Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu> on 2007/01/04 18:53:58 UTC

RE: [proposal] removing inter-project commit restrictions

 As one of the ones affected in part by this take it for what it's
worth, I have to say I agree with Brett. I think in general anyone voted
to be a committer in one of the maven areas has some vested interest in
the project. Because of the integrated nature of the maven technologies,
this means frequently we use and run into issues outside of the core
piece we normally work on. Committers are trusted and voted to do the
right thing in their area. I don't see the seemingly arbitrary line is
drawn.

For example, although I technically have commit access to any of the
plugins, I wouldn't do things any differently if I made a change to an
unfamiliar plugin than I would for core, continuum etc. That is to ask
about it on IRC/Email, file an issue for comments and then carefully
make changes as needed.

In short, people are trusted to do the right thing within their own
area, given that there are so many interrelated areas within maven,
being limited to one area seems like a lot of overhead.

As far as social boundaries, there is only one irc channel and mailing
list for "maven" so there isn't an apparent social divide between many
of the maven technologies (continuum, archiva and plexus obviously not
the case even though many of the characters are the same).

I would suggest we start with merging the committer access for plugins &
core to start, and keep continuum, archiva et all separate for now
because of their focused nature.