Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Luis A Lopez Negron <lu...@upr.edu> on 2021/12/15 15:43:06 UTC

Error encountered, try again later

Hi folks;

I am receiving this messages when click on some menu options or when try to
reserve an image:

Error encountered, try again later

After analyzing the browser data [as recommended in Troubleshooting "Error
Encountered: Please try again later" - Apache VCL - Apache Software
Foundation
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=47385093>]

I only see this message in the Response tab

No response data available for this request

Also when I click an option it jumps to the login page.  I checked all the
hypervisors and they are working fine.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

--
Luis A. López
System Administrator, UPRM

Re: Error encountered, try again later

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Hi Luis,

It sounds like you have an authentication issue where VCL isn't recognizing
the login cookie your browser is submitting when it loads pages.

The first thing I'd say to try is to log in using a private or incognito
browser window.  That will no cached files or old cookies are used.  If that
works, something has become corrupt in the cached data your browser has for
the VCL site.

Another situation that can cause what you are seeing is if the network setup
between you and the VCL site results in the VCL site seeing your IP address
change from one page load to the next.  We have see this once before where
users behind a NAT gateway were using VCL.  In that case, the NAT gateway had
multiple public IP addresses that it would use and wouldn't keep a single user
locked to a single IP address.  So, from one VCL page load to the next, users'
connections were coming out from different IP addresses.  Part of the security
in VCL authentication assumes users will always be coming from the same IP
address.  When a user's IP address changes, it considers their authentication
cookie to be invalid and directs them back to the login page.  If that happens
for an AJAX call, the data sent back is not what the web browser is expecting.
So, it shows the error message.

Josh

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021 10:43:06 AM EST Luis A Lopez Negron wrote:
> Hi folks;
>
> I am receiving this messages when click on some menu options or when try to
> reserve an image:
>
> Error encountered, try again later
>
> After analyzing the browser data [as recommended in Troubleshooting "Error
> Encountered: Please try again later" - Apache VCL - Apache Software
> Foundation
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=47385093>]
>
> I only see this message in the Response tab
>
> No response data available for this request
>
> Also when I click an option it jumps to the login page.  I checked all the
> hypervisors and they are working fine.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

- --
Josh Thompson
VCL Developer
North Carolina State University

my GPG/PGP key can be found on keyserver.ubuntu.com