Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Reid Thompson <Re...@ateb.com> on 2004/07/29 17:54:49 UTC

issue with HelloVelocity example in 1.5 Release

Start tomcat(4.1) with jetspeed 1.5 release
Hit main page.  Select Dynamic tab
(http://ws-xp-4960.ateb.com:8080/jetspeed/portal/media-type/html/languag
e/en/user/anon/page/default.psml/js_pane/114)

Right hand column contains HelloVelocity and HelloVelocityCached.

If I enter "This is new text" into HelloVelocity's text entry field and
click update, the portlets both output the message that the text was
successfully updated, but the text does not change in the updated
browser/portlets text entry fields( The text remains "Hello World in
Velocity")

If I click update in HelloVelocity again, w/o any other changes, the
text in HelloVelocityCached's text entry field gets updated to "This is
new text" ( clicking update again reverts the text to "Hello World in
Velocity")

I can never get the text field in HelloVelocity to be anything other
than "Hello World in Velocity".

My impression is that if i alter the text in HelloVelocity's text field
and update, then HelloVelocity's text field and HelloVelocityCached's
text field should be updated to contain the new text.  If i then change
the text again in HelloVelocity's text field and update, then
HelloVelocity's text field should show the change, and
HelloVelocityCached may or may not show the change dependent upon
whether the cache time had expired or not...

Can someone shed some light on this?

I've went so far as to implement a copy of HelloVelocity (
MyHelloVelocity.vm MyHelloVelocityAction.java) incase HelloVelocity and
HelloVelocityCached just don't play nice together.  What I end up with
is:

Initial portlet state has "Hello World in Velocity" in text field

Hello World in Velocity

If you want to change this message, please enter it below :
	 Hello World in Velocity

I change the text in the field to "what, some new text" and click
update.  The Portlet 'refreshes' but nothing changes. I click update
again and the portlet refreshes and updates to

what, some new text

If you want to change this message, please enter it below :

  	 what, some new text

If i click update again, it reverts to the original state, click it
again, it switches back to the new text, click again, original state,
click again, new state, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks,
reid