Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org> on 2004/03/01 18:37:22 UTC

and no-op output

One of my (very few) pet hates with ant is that the depends task
displays something when it performs a no-op.  This seems counter to
other tasks (copy, javac, zip IIRC) and means that my complex build ends
up spitting out a lot of output while doing very little.  The output
itself doesn't exactly qualify as stimulating reading either:
"Deleted 0 out of date files in 0 seconds"

I was wondering if there was any point in preparing a patch to not
output/log if 0 files have been deleted.  The patch / change would be
laughably small but I'm not 100% that it'll sit well with everyone as
depends feels like its been around for a few releases now and this would
be a change to the output.  I could complicate the patch by making it
configurable (lognoop="no"??) if that makes people happier although it
seems unecessary to me.  Alternatively I could live with it as it is and
mutter to myself just as I have done so far.

Thoughts?

Rob

Re: and no-op output

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org>.
Here we go then: the patch simply logs at DEBUG level rather than INFO
if nothing has been acheived.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: and no-op output

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.

Re: and no-op output

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
Rob Oxspring wrote:
> One of my (very few) pet hates with ant is that the depends task
> displays something when it performs a no-op.  This seems counter to
> other tasks (copy, javac, zip IIRC) and means that my complex build ends
> up spitting out a lot of output while doing very little.  The output
> itself doesn't exactly qualify as stimulating reading either:
> "Deleted 0 out of date files in 0 seconds"
>
> I was wondering if there was any point in preparing a patch to not
> output/log if 0 files have been deleted.  The patch / change would be
> laughably small but I'm not 100% that it'll sit well with everyone as
> depends feels like its been around for a few releases now and this would
> be a change to the output.  I could complicate the patch by making it
> configurable (lognoop="no"??) if that makes people happier although it
> seems unecessary to me.  Alternatively I could live with it as it is and
> mutter to myself just as I have done so far.

seems reasonable to me

Re: and no-op output

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Rob Oxspring <ro...@imapmail.org> wrote:
> One of my (very few) pet hates with ant is that the
> depends task
> displays something when it performs a no-op.  This
>
> I was wondering if there was any point in preparing
> a patch to not
> output/log if 0 files have been deleted.  The patch
> / change would be
> laughably small but I'm not 100% that it'll sit well
> with everyone as
> depends feels like its been around for a few
> releases now and this would
> be a change to the output.  I could complicate the
> patch by making it
> configurable (lognoop="no"??) if that makes people

Since the current behavior does not really qualify as
a bug, it is not safe to assume that a change to the
default behavior of a task would not break someone's
build.  So supporting this behavior using a lognoop
attribute (default true) via "public void
setLognoop(boolean lognoop) {...}" would be A Good
Thing.  If you want to prepare the patch and create an
RFE in Bugzilla someone will probably commit it.

Thanks,
Matt