Posted to community@apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2003/08/26 20:58:18 UTC

Draft proposal for EU patents protest

This is a quickly made-up text for the Apache sites to show up tomorrow.
If there is any agreement on that, I can come up with an HTML version
(including the ASF logo, the redirect meta and all the yadda-yadda)...

Please feel free to comment, rephrase and correct my non-native English.

On September 1st the European Commission is going to vote a revised
version of the European Patentability rules. The proposed revision
contains a set of serious challenges to Open Source development since
regulation regarding software patents will be broadly extended and might
forbid indipendent development of innovative (Open Source and not)
software-based solutions.

The European Open Source community is very concerned about the upcoming
new regulation and has organized a demo protest for August 27, asking
Open Source supporting sites to change their home pages to let everyone
know what is going on at the European Parliament. The Apache Software
Foundation has decided to support this initiative, and this is why you
are seeing this page.

For further informations please see http://swpat.ffii.org and
http://petition.eurolinux.org. You will be redirected automatically to
this site homepage in 60 seconds (or you can reach it directly by
clicking <a href="...">here</a>).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

RE: Draft proposal for EU patents protest

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html

"Page Closed" -> "Important Notice"

"this site" -> "this site's"

        --- Noel

Re: Draft proposal for EU patents protest

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Anyway, just in case the board gives the green light, attached is the
> (text corrected, thanks!) HTML page. It might need tweaks at the refresh
> meta and last link to adjust it to the correct index page. The img
> absolute link is on purpose, in case others want to apply this page to
> their TLP sites too.

The same page is available, to save an scp, at
http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/apache-protest.html. Sorry for attaching
it, when I realized that uploading to the ASF server was a better
solution it was just too late. :-)

Ciao,

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Sander Striker wrote:

> [...]

While I agree that we should care about our users, in the long run, making
a sign against software patents might be the ultimate gift to them.
Besides, there's plenty of mirrors around that still carry the
distributions. All ASF sites out for one day sure might attract some
eyeballs. But yes, it should be up to the board & the respective PMCs to
make that judgement call.

</Steven>

> Hmmm.  I was more thinking all or nothing.  If the board approves, swap
> the main httpd.conf for a config that will serve only this page.  We
> swap configs again when the protest is over (a day?).

Then again, although a stronger statement, maybe not.  Our users deserve
to be served as usual.

Sander

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Andrew Savory wrote:

>>http://petition.eurolinux.org. You will be redirected automatically to
>>this site homepage in 60 seconds (or you can reach it directly by
>>clicking <a href="...">here</a>).
>>============================================================
>

> also:
> ?

Well, this was actually thought out for more than just www.apache.org,
in case other PMC (with the approval of the Board, I assume) decide to
shut their TLP sites too (there is an ongoing proposal on the Cocoon PMC
and I'll send one to the XML PMC in minutes). Was yours meant as an
addition or as a modification?

Anyway, just in case the board gives the green light, attached is the
(text corrected, thanks!) HTML page. It might need tweaks at the refresh
meta and last link to adjust it to the correct index page. The img
absolute link is on purpose, in case others want to apply this page to
their TLP sites too.

Thanks for your support. I understand that switching the home page off
is not an easy decision given the short advice, so I will understand if
the ASF decides not to support this initiative. I'm confident, though,
that having Apache as a supporter might help us european a lot figthing
this troublesome new regulation.

Ciao,

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> This is a quickly made-up text for the Apache sites to show up tomorrow.

Thanks for doing this Gianugo!

> forbid indipendent development of innovative (Open Source and not)

s/indipendent/independent/

> For further informations please see http://swpat.ffii.org and

s/informations/information/

> http://petition.eurolinux.org. You will be redirected automatically to
> this site homepage in 60 seconds (or you can reach it directly by
> clicking <a href="...">here</a>).

also:
?

Andrew.

Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk

Re: Draft proposal for EU patents protest

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> This is a quickly made-up text for the Apache sites to show up tomorrow.
> If there is any agreement on that, I can come up with an HTML version
> (including the ASF logo, the redirect meta and all the yadda-yadda)...
>
> Please feel free to comment, rephrase and correct my non-native English.

good job, folks!

(I didn't see the most recent threads until after it went live :) )

RE: Draft proposal for EU patents protest

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Whatever text we adopted will need to be approved, anyhow, but do you want
> to add anything to the effect that the Apache Software Foundation develops
> software based upon Open Standards and promotes inter-operability, both of
> which would be threatened by software patents, and therefore the ASF is
> taking its position based upon the firm belief that Internet technology must
> remain open and unencumbered?

I sure would like to see such statements but, given the lack of time, I
thought that it would have been less questionable and debatable to have
a more neutral text. But addition, if possible, would be most welcome.

> The irony is that the patent system was put into place to protect small
> inventors from powerful players, and to ensure that they would receive a
> fair economic reward.  Instead it as evolved into a system where the largest
> players develop huge patent portfolios to use as leverage against their
> peers, and the smaller players are kept out of the system by the economics
> involved in the patent process.
>
> We see enough of that already here in the USA.

And this is exactly why we're trying to keep that away from Europe. :-)

BTW, thanks for your corrections: they have been applied.

Ciao,