Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Josh Hone <ic...@hotmail.com> on 2002/10/19 22:32:54 UTC

Quick velocity-jetspeed out-of-box fix

Hi all -

I had an idea that could be a quick fix to some problems with Jetspeed
out-of-the-box Velocity portlets.  There is at the beginning of using
Jetspeed this problem that can make it hard to design interactivity
with your portal.  When you submit the simple Jetspeed-Velocity samples with
changes, if you have more than one on the page, then a couple of things
happen.

First, if you have templates with the same variable names, then the
information that is submitted for a certain variable is put in with all
portlets using templates with that same variable, thus sharing too much
information potentially.

Second, if the velocity portlets that you have do not have their variables
put back into the context, then they appear as $variableName and seem to
forget their state until you leave the pane and come back to it.  So other
velocity portlets on the page forget their state.

A simple fix is to include hidden parameters in the provided velocity
templates that indicate a group or category the portlet is in.  Then, in the
Action class, in doUpdate, there can be a simple if() statement at the top,
which says that if the information submitted is something I should pay
attention to, then I will pay attention to it.  If I am not supposed to pay
attention to it, then I will just call buildNormalContext().

This then opens the door for a new portlet parameter, or the existing
category/group ones, to determine which portlets share information with each
other.

If this has been done already, or anything needs clarification, just let me
know.  If anyone is interested, then it just takes the addition of a few
lines to doUpdate and the templates to enact, and I can show you what I have
odne in this regard.

R,
Josh Hone