Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Paolo Patierno <pp...@live.com> on 2017/01/18 11:48:25 UTC

Kafka Protocol : about clients and number of TCP connections

Hello,

I'd like to know the number of connections that Kafka clients establish. I mean ...

The producer establishes a TCP connection for each "leader" broker which has the partition where the producer itself wants to send messages.

Is there any other connection to consider ?

The consumer establishes a TCP connection for each "leader" broker which has the assigned partition (or requested by client itself) for reading.

Other than that I understood that consumer has a TCP connection even with the coordinator for polling information about group changes and partitions will be re-balanced.

Is there any other connection to consider ?

Thanks,

Paolo

Paolo Patierno
Senior Software Engineer (IoT) @ Red Hat
Microsoft MVP on Windows Embedded & IoT
Microsoft Azure Advisor

Twitter : @ppatierno<http://twitter.com/ppatierno>
Linkedin : paolopatierno<http://it.linkedin.com/in/paolopatierno>
Blog : DevExperience<http://paolopatierno.wordpress.com/>

Re: Kafka Protocol : about clients and number of TCP connections

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
The only other connections to brokers would be to the bootstrap brokers in
order to collect cluster metadata.

-Ewen