Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/13 15:12:38 UTC

Two suggestions

I have two suggestions.

1.) We should start using the javadoc comments for all new classes,
methods, etc.  Users will want to see a nice javadoc when they
evaluate whether to use my faces.  The other Apache projects have
this, we should too.  We should at least do this going forward and
eventually we should go back and document the legacy stuff.

2.) It would be *real* nice to have the CVS commits and the JIRA bug
reports emailed to the dev list.  Its hard to carry on two separate
discussions about a bug (one on JIRA plus one on the dev list).  Also,
unless you are actively checking JIRA you don't know when a new bug
has been posted.

Most of the other Apache projects I've worked on assign a default user
(with an email that corresponds to the dev list) as the default owner
of the bug.  Can we do something like that?  If the owner of the bug
stays myfaces-dev, then everyone will be updated on the progress of
the bug.

Another option, since JIRA has a watching feature, is to automatically
have this default user be watching the bug.  Is that possible?  That
would probably be best because you could still change around the owner
of the bug without affecting the list.

My .02

sean

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> 1. Add the myfaces-dev@incubator.apache.org list to these notifications:
> "Issue Created", "Issue Updated", "Issue Resolved" and "Issue Commented"

+1

> 2. Give permission "Create Issues", "Add Comments" and "Create
> Attachments" to Group "Anyone" (Currently only logged in users are able
> to submit issues as far as I understand it)

+0 (Current limitation is same as Apache Bugzilla which doesn't seem to hurt)

> Manfred

sean

ps.  I realize this is not a an official vote.  I think +1, +0, -1 are
convenient shorthand for "I agree with you",  "I'm indiferrent" and "I
disagree with you."

Re: [OT] Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Yay!  I just received my first JIRA email regarding a new bug.  For
those of us who are not committers, this is a nice addition.

One cool aspect of JIRA over the bugzilla approach is that the email
is "sent" by the user who reported the bug (instead of bugzilla).
Nice.

Now a question about the "reply".  Right now it looks like the replies
will go to the mailing list.  Is there anyway we can hook it up so
that the reply is added as a comment to the bug (and of course you
also get it on the mailing list because its an update to the bug)?

I realize this is a limitation on how the current bugzilla works on
some of the other projects but JIRA seems to be more flexible.  If we
could get this working that would be perfect!  I think its been a long
standing problem on all of the mailing lists that the conversation
related to a bug is not completely archived with the bug report.

Perhaps this would require "anonymous" reporting in order to pull it
off.  If so, then I would change my stance on that issue from +0 to
+1.

sean

RE: [OT] Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
> We could even go beyond and define: A vote is only an
> official vote if
> the word "vote" is in the subject or body of the mail.

+1 ;-)

Matthias

[OT] Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
<offtopic>

Bill Dudney wrote:
> In order not to be vote happy I'll just state my opinions :-)

Please! My comment on "vote happiness" was an attempt to be funny. I
never wanted to scare people off using the +/-1/0 shortcuts!  :-)

To bring back confidence: Nobody at no time ever will be indicted for
using +/-1/0 as opinion shortcuts. I swear!

We could even go beyond and define: A vote is only an official vote if
the word "vote" is in the subject or body of the mail. Otherwise it is

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> The other thing to consider
> about opening it up is that we could get spam as bug reports
> potentially and I'd rather not have to go in and delete all the pleas
> from deposed dictator's family members. :-)

LOL.  (Also a good point.)

> -bd-

sean

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
In order not to be vote happy I'll just state my opinions :-)

I will work on getting java doc up to date.

> 1. Add the myfaces-dev@incubator.apache.org list to these
> notifications: "Issue Created", "Issue Updated", "Issue Resolved" and
> "Issue Commented"

I like this although i've been getting new bug submissions already.

> 2. Give permission "Create Issues", "Add Comments" and "Create
> Attachments" to Group "Anyone" (Currently only logged in users are
> able to submit issues as far as I understand it)

I prefer to know who submitted the bug so we can get back to them for
follow up but I could live without that. The other thing to consider
about opening it up is that we could get spam as bug reports
potentially and I'd rather not have to go in and delete all the pleas
from deposed dictator's family members. :-)

My $0.02 worth and not a single vote :-)

TTFN,

-bd-

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.
ok, done

Manfred

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I propose the following changes:

> 1. Add the myfaces-dev@incubator.apache.org list to these notifications:
> "Issue Created", "Issue Updated", "Issue Resolved" and "Issue Commented"

Since nobody seems to object to this part of your suggestions, can we
go ahead with this?  This would make discussion of bugs (and how they
are being resolved) much easier to follow.

> Manfred

sean

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I would recommend against #2. You almost always care about who is
> submitting issues, and comments and attachments to them, and those people
> need to be logged in for you to be able to know that.

I definitely see your point on that.  That is why I "voted" +0.  On
the one hand, its easier for users to report bugs.  On the other, we'd
like to have a discussion with the person reporting them.  I tend to
agree with your position but ultimately I could live with either way.

Actually, maybe this would make a good case for a formal vote?  This
is a procedural decision that will impact everyone.

> Martin Cooper

sean

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Right so we're all in favor of javadoc.

What are other peoples thoughts on the mailing list and whether or not
the users need to be registered.

RE: Two suggestions

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I thought that #2 was just saying that new bugs should be
> automatically reported to the dev list so to facilitate easy
> discussion.

No that is #1.

> -Heath Borders-Wing

sean

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
I thought that #2 was just saying that new bugs should be
automatically reported to the dev list so to facilitate easy
discussion.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
>1 to '+1' meaning 'I agree with you' in these nontrivial situations :-)
Oops, I mean trivial

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

RE: Two suggestions

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.

Re: Two suggestions

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@apache.org>.

RE: Two suggestions

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
> 1.) We should start using the javadoc comments for all new
> classes, methods, etc.  Users will want to see a nice javadoc
> when they evaluate whether to use my faces.  The other Apache
> projects have this, we should too.  We should at least do
> this going forward and eventually we should go back and
> document the legacy stuff.

+1 on that!
I will take care about some clazzes on weekend.

> 2.) It would be *real* nice to have the CVS commits and the
> JIRA bug reports emailed to the dev list.  Its hard to carry
> on two separate discussions about a bug (one on JIRA plus one
> on the dev list).  Also, unless you are actively checking
> JIRA you don't know when a new bug has been posted.

+1 I don't know how to setup Jira!
I find bugzilla and cvs-commit usful
(when I read dev@struts.a.o)