Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Brian Dobby <bd...@nobilis.com> on 2001/11/09 15:26:36 UTC

How to reconstitute a LoggingEvent from XMLLayout output

Hi, folks.
	Has anyone tried to reconstitute a LoggingEvent from the XMLLayout
output? I've tried it and failed, because not all fields are accessible and
modifiable, even through access methods.

Specifically, what I am trying to do is to extend Chainsaw
(http://www.puppycrawl.com) in order to
1. Be able to save a Chainsaw session to disk in XMLLayout format
2. Load XMLLayout data from disk into Chainsaw.

This would allow me to
1. Suspend a session and resume it later.
2. Compare two sessions.
3. Take a file generated at a user site and load it into Chainsaw for
analysis.

However, as I said, I am defeated by the fact some LoggingEvent members
(timestamp, fqnOfCategoryClass, etc) are inaccessible and/or immutable.
Anyone have any suggestions?
	TIA
	    Brian
---