Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/01 21:03:19 UTC

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Good news.  I think I now understand the actual root cause for
POOL-376.  Bad news is the fix that I committed masks but does not
really fix the problem.  I will update the ticket and commit a full fix
this evening.  I will try to get a test case but that is going to be
tricky because it requires a race between the evictor and a borrower
under the right conditions.

Phil

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/7/19 8:37 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 6:27 PM Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Sorry for the screw-up.  I think when I set up the clone that I used
>>> to make that patch I was following [1].  We should change the URL
>>> there, I guess.
>>>
>>> I will fix the setup on that box and verify that the logs look right.
>> I have checked the logs and everything looks correct.  Once again, sorry
>> for causing confusion by the commit to wip.  I also verified that that
>> pom has been fixed so that when the web site is published next, the
>> right scm URL will be shown.
>>
>> I think the release is good to go now unless anyone sees problems with
>> the fixes master contains.
>>
> Thank you Phil. I will find the time to cut a RC tonight.

I just pushed another commit.  Looking at the fix again, it was possible
for the race to still happen (startEviction happens between first check
and removal from idleObjects).

Phil

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 08:40, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 05/10/2019 18:59, Gary Gregory wrote:

> They are now (after a server failure a little while ago). They point to
> the same box. gitbox.a.o is the new name, git-wip-us.a.o is the old name.

FTR: I thought git-wip-us was redirected to gitbox once all the
git-wip repos had been migrated?
i.e. before the recent git.a.o failure (I thought that was only used
for GitHub RO mirrors?)

> Even if they weren't the same box, if the hash of the tag matches then
> that should provide sufficient reassurance that the tags are identical.

If not, then there are bigger problems...

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 1:19 PM Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/5/19 5:47 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 8:17 AM sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> GitBox

> >> only

> >> Try browsing to the two URLs.
> >>
> >> Do you see any difference in the displayed pages (apart from the URL)?
> >>
> > Not after looking for 30 seconds, and that's exactly my point: it is
> > _confusing_. Are they really _exactly_ the same? Which one is the
> > canonical one? Are there two repos or one?
> > It would help us all if we standardize on GitBox IMO.
>

> Sorry for the screw-up.  I think when I set up the clone that I used to
> make that patch I was following [1].  We should change the URL there, I
> guess.

No, no, no, please do not take my comments as saying you screwed up. I was
not implying anything of the sort.

Gary

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil and all:

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [pool] POOL-376 and release?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 5:03 PM Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good news.  I think I now understand the actual root cause for
> POOL-376.  Bad news is the fix that I committed masks but does not
> really fix the problem.  I will update the ticket and commit a full fix
> this evening.  I will try to get a test case but that is going to be
> tricky because it requires a race between the evictor and a borrower
> under the right conditions.

Great news! Thank you Phil.

Gary