Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2001/10/17 19:24:31 UTC

IBM patents Template Systems?

Has anyone else noticed this?

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=10&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ft00&s1=HTML&OS=HTML&RS=HTML

A causal reading seems to suggest that most mod_perl-based
templating systems do exactly what this patent will cover:
i.e. set up a non-HTML based website where templates
dynamically convert non-HTML files into HTML.

The patent was filed June 19, 1998: surely there must be
prior art out there?

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: IBM patents Template Systems?

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=10&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ft00&s1=HTML&OS=HTML&RS=HTML
>
> A causal reading seems to suggest that most mod_perl-based
> templating systems do exactly what this patent will cover:
> i.e. set up a non-HTML based website where templates
> dynamically convert non-HTML files into HTML.
>
> The patent was filed June 19, 1998: surely there must be
> prior art out there?

As Nathan suggested, this might be more relevant to a web editor
like homestead.com (online or not) than to a templating system.

If it does apply to a templating system, then certainly Embperl
has prior art, whereas Apache::ASP v.01 was released a week after
the filing of this patent, so I am not sure how prior art would
apply in the latter case.

I remember at the time of writing Apache::ASP, NetObjects Fusion
was out for quite a while, and definitely had templates to
choose from for site building, so that might establish prior
art there.

--Josh

Re: IBM patents Template Systems?

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Nathan Torkington wrote:
>
> > Joe Schaefer writes:
> > > A causal reading seems to suggest that most mod_perl-based
> > > templating systems do exactly what this patent will cover:
> >
> > "the tool generates the customized Web site without the web site
> > creator writing any HTML or other programming code."
>
> An only slightly less casual reading indicates that anyone who writes
>
> use strict;
>
> or

> isn't at risk of violating this patent.

s/write/must write/ and I'd agree with you.  However, like the
one-click patent, it appears to stake a dubious claim that makes
me worry about content management systems that are too "user
friendly", or perhaps just not HTML-centric.  From

DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED EMBODIMENTS

..."The tool facilitates the creation of a customized Web site
without requiring a Web site creator to write or edit HTML code."...

IANAL, and I'm not trying to be overly alarmist, but the
listed embodiments in that section are to me quite sweeping
(apparently covering dynamic, offline, and mixed content
generation tools).  The functionality described there seemingly
existed in commercial products like MS Frontpage 97, and still
the patent was granted.

I also don't know how XML fits into all this ( is it legally
considered HTML, a programming language, or a data format ?),
so I'll shut up now.  I just thought people here should be
aware of the issue so perhaps the right people can do something
about it (if need be).

Posted by "Brett W. McCoy" <bm...@chapelperilous.net>.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Ged Haywood wrote:

> An only slightly less casual reading indicates that anyone who writes
>
> use strict;
>
> or

> isn't at risk of violating this patent.

It looks to me that products like Zope or Midgard are more going to be in
violation, but since they are Python and PHP based, it is of no concern.
:-)

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.

Re: IBM patents Template Systems?

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi all,

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> Joe Schaefer writes:
> > A causal reading seems to suggest that most mod_perl-based
> > templating systems do exactly what this patent will cover:
>
> "the tool generates the customized Web site without the web site
> creator writing any HTML or other programming code."

An only slightly less casual reading indicates that anyone who writes

use strict;

or

isn't at risk of violating this patent.

73,
Ged.

Re: IBM patents Template Systems?

Posted by John Armstrong <si...@siberian.org>.
Is this applying to an application based tool only or does it also apply
to web based tools? We have a product that we have licensed out for 4
years or so that does exactly this via the web( approx 5000 sites are
using it now ). I am sure others do as well.

Just not sure what the scope of this lame patent is.

John-

Posted by Nathan Torkington <gn...@oreilly.com>.