Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/11 16:19:04 UTC

[FYI] Hidden treasures

Converted our wiki to a pdf format the other day (Thanks to Jason
Dillon for providing help very very quickly). Discovered that we had
324 pages  on the wiki (This is before i created all those empty pages
-- site structure).

So conservatively assuming that even if 20% of the documentation is
current (and useful -- i.e. it is actual text rather than jira
issues), we still should have around  60 pages of documentation
reflecting things "accurately" as they are in the current release.

Amazing!!,  what a birds eye view of the whole thing can reveal for you.

BTW, if you have not seen it yet, try using the "export space" feature
of confluence, the way it lays out the site gives you a nice idea of
whats where .

So, I am just going to print the pdf and start slicing and dicing away
stuff while I am traveling (wish I could just sit at home and work on
OpenEJB ;)). Will be  a lot of fun going through all the docs and see
how things changed.

Hope you too can try out something like this and maybe add an idea or two :)

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: [FYI] Hidden treasures

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 8/12/07, Manu George <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great work Karan. You are really cleaning up the OpenEJB documentation
> among many other things :). I am pleasantly surprised to know that we
> have 324 pages in our wiki.
Thanks. Actually, I gave the wrong numbers, the total pages on the
wiki is something else, but it leads to generating 324 pages of an
adobe pdf document.

> I feel it would be nice to have the documentation for each release
> consolidated together and kept even for the older releases.  Is it
> already available like that?
I dont think it is available like that. This should not be very hard
to do going forward, but its going to be a major effort to track docs
to changes in previous releases.
But this is a very good suggestion. I really like it.

> Also should we keep a link to a PDF of
> the entire wiki for download?
Well, not of the entire wiki, but definitely of the users and developers guide.
>I guess it would become out of date and
> may need to be updated frequently. Won't it be possible to configure
> the build to do that?

Probably, this is something which confluence experts can answer. I
would not know much on this one. Personally, I would like to generate
pdf's once a month or something. Want to make sure that the change in
the docs makes sense when it is part of the pdf doc (want to avoid a
change leading to incomplete docs making into the pdf).  But, it
depends on what others think too.

Nice thoughts, keep em coming :)

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: [FYI] Hidden treasures

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Great work Karan. You are really cleaning up the OpenEJB documentation
among many other things :). I am pleasantly surprised to know that we
have 324 pages in our wiki.
I feel it would be nice to have the documentation for each release
consolidated together and kept even for the older releases.  Is it
already available like that? Also should we keep a link to a PDF of
the entire wiki for download? I guess it would become out of date and