Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/05 00:51:21 UTC

Exploding a ZIP in a resource directory

We have a series of HTML based help files that sit inside our
src/main/resource/help directory. Right now, we store these files as html
files, and everything is fine.

The problem is that the people who build these files create the files in
Microsoft Word, then use a PC program called Robohelp to generate them.

Every time they generate the files, we get a completely different version of
all HTML and GIFS no matter how small the change. We use Subversion, and
each time we generate new help files, the people who maintain them basically
delete the entire Subversion help tree, then re-add in the new set of files.
This causes problems with our developers who now end up downloading and
updating hundreds of files whenever the help changes.

I would like to simply store these help files as a single zipfile in our
source archive, and then unzip these files when I do a build. Is this
possible in Maven?

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Exploding a ZIP in a resource directory

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
2009/8/5 David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Alexander <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You could declare these documentaion as dependecy. Then use dependency plugin for unpacking this module.
>> See http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/unpack-mojo.html
>>

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2008/04/how-to-share-resources-across-projects-in-maven/
>>

> Well, this isn't quite a shared dependency. The documentation is only for this particular module and is irrelevant anywhere else.

Doesn't matter really, the process is still the same...

> Do I need  to have the techwriters zip up the documentation and download it into our Maven repository, and then when I do a build,  download it, and unzip it?

If they zip it and publish it to the repo yes...but they will probably
do that using the assembly plugin like I showed in the blog...

> Is it possible to use the maven-dependency-plugin just to merely do the unzipping? Otherwise, I'll have to give our techwriters access to the repository, and let the developers know they have to coordinate the version numbering of the documentation in the pom.xml.

Yes, that's what the dependency plugin does, it either copies the file
or unpacks it.

> Maybe I am better off just using the antrun mojo to do the unzipping during the packing phase.

The dependency plugin does the same thing without ant.

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.
Maybe you sould try this
http://www.pohlidame.cz/insolvencni-rejstrik/maven-unzip-plugin.html?

--
Alexander

Re: Exploding a ZIP in a resource directory

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Alexander <th...@gmail.com>.

--