Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> on 2004/07/08 02:44:00 UTC

Re: JSVGCanvas displayed gvt components, editing and then saving.

Hi Roger,

    I applaud your enthusiasm with the GVT, but since you clearly
are aware of (and are making use of) modifying the DOM to manipulate
the displayed graphics - why don't you do the same thing for your
'interactive' bits?

 > ((java.awt.geom.Line2D)theShape).setLine(endPoint,
 > ((java.awt.geom.Line2D)theShape).getP2());

     This could be replaced with a DOM mouseMove event listener,
and setting the attributes on the line element:

    Element line;
    line.setAttribute("x1", endPoint.x);
    line.setAttribute("y1", endPoint.y);

     You can even go back and forth between the GVT and DOM node
using the BridgeContext (if you want to peak at the Java2D shapes),
but if you have a dynamic document it's really nasty to go changing
the GVT 'under the hood'.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Roger,

    Glad I could help!

    Yes, the Java Core only includes DOM core.  It doesn't include
DOM events.  BTW you probably want read:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Events-20001113/

    There you will see something called "EventTarget" almost all
elements in SVG implement the EventTarget interface which has,
add/removeEventListener (the Document is just one example - in
fact it is much more common to add 'global' event handers on
the root element not on the document it's self).  It is
even more common to add event listeners on the actual graphical
element - although in some cases this isn't what makes the most
sense.