Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ivo Zivkov <iz...@ci.ods.org> on 2003/05/01 22:01:20 UTC

Which IDE

I am new to Struts.

I am looking for a decent IDE to use with Struts. I have been trying to use Sun’s studio, with which I am quite familiar, but I find it too slow and have a lot of problems with invoking tomcat (complaining that it cannot start the server, port in use, etc).

Websphere 5.0 has a Struts plug-in, but of course it is not free.

I am looking at Struts Studio from Exadel, and it looks pretty good. But are there any others out there which are worth looking into?

Regards,
Ivo Zivkov
izivkov@ci-devices.com
www.ci-devices.com

RE: Which IDE

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
I'm not sure whether to open source it or not, probably though, because I
would like to see cactus unit testing added to it later.

--As for anything being publicized on a web site, there is nothing yet and
probably won't be for another month...

-Jacob

| > |

| > | use Sun’s studio, with which I am quite familiar, but I find it too
| slow
| > | and have a lot of problems with invoking tomcat (complaining that it
| > | cannot start the server, port in use, etc).

| But
| > | are there any others out there which are worth looking into?
| > |
| > |  I use Eclipse.
| > |
| > | There are a couple of how to docs available on the struts site:
| > |
| > |  http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/eclipse.html
| > |  http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/netbeans.html
| > |

| > | --
| > | James Mitchell
| > | Software Developer/Struts Evangelist
| > | http://www.open-tools.org
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > ---

| --
| James Mitchell
| Software Developer/Struts Evangelist
| http://www.open-tools.org

---

RE: Which IDE

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

RE: Which IDE

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
I agree, Eclipse is the bomb.

On a side note, I'm a good way through writing a neat plug-in for Struts
development that is VERY tightly coupled with the native java development
environment.  (Yes, I know there's Easy Struts, but it's horrible to work
with).

-Jacob

---

Re: Which IDE

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

RE: Which IDE

Posted by Hue Holleran <hu...@openAction.net>.
There have been quite a few discussions - that you'll find in the archives.
These are just my personal comments I've never given before - they're not
exhaustive and only on 2 different IDEs I've used.

We use netbeans www.netbeans.org - 3.5 (beta) is a *very* big improvement on
3.4 in terms of speed but I think the general consensus is that it works
much better with the latest Sun's JDK 1.4.0 than with the 1.4.1 (various
problems with debugger reported, tomcat stops and blocks port, as you've
described) - the jury's still out on JDK 1.4.2 beta. 3.4 works well with
BEA's JRockit but in testing I've had stack dumps on Linux with netbeans 3.5
beta - could be netbeans, could be Debian GNU Linux that is not an
officially supported distribution for BEA - still testing. Sun's JDK 1.4.0
with netbeans 3.4 works great on Linux. I think the general consensus is
that netbeans is *very* heavyweight - both in terms of functionality and
hardware required to run it! We use dual-PIIIs with minimum 1GB of memory -
and as you might expect it runs well!! I must say it is still usable on my
laptop - 1GHz PIII with 500MB RAM running Windows 2000 and Debian - but just
usable. The pros for netbeans is that it is very easy to get up-and-running
as it includes an internal tomcat 4.0.x, CVS is really nicely integrated,
debugging is also simplfied as tomcat is bundled. The againsts for netbeans
are that it is rather heavyweight and requires pretty hefty hardware, throws
strange error compiling JSPs when using struts-el (there is workaround) and
does not allow copying files from Explorer (which Eclipse does) - so one
needs to mount the parent directory.

Eclipse www.eclipse.org - I have used and really like also. It feels much
faster in operation than netbeans and will comfortably run on much more
modest hardware. If you're going Linux, I'd recommend the GTK version (looks
nicer and feels a lot faster than the Motif widget set) and runs very nicely
with the BEA JRockit VM and with Sun's JDKs. Eclipse on Windows 2000 runs
really nicely too. The pros for Eclipse are that it will, by default
encourage separating the source and compiled classes, runs very well even on
quite limited hardware, has CVS support. The againsts for Eclipse are that,
personally I find it more difficult to quickly get up-and-running with, only
because the container's jars need to be added and one needs to think a bit
more about the project setup than with netbeans. Debugging is not as easy as
with netbeans because it does not have a bundled container but I suspect
these are moot points once one is much more proficient with Eclipse (I'm
not).

As I say, we currently use netbeans and it works really well for us. The
introduction of netbeans was not without its tears, though, although I do
find new users will get up-and-running with only a couple of hours of
mentoring which is nice. The first introductory paragraph to netbeans really
should be "Create a New Project before doing anything else." - as its quite
easy to get confused with a lot of mounted file systems.

Just a personal view, again: My reason for moving us to open source was not
wanting to be tied to restrictive and/or unreasonable licensing clauses. Our
choice of IDEs was based-on high productivity; low initial learning curve
for new developers; an open, extendable and well-supported platform and no
licensing clauses that have the potential to come and bite us in the bum in
the future. I have been watching with interest the thread on Exadel's Struts
Studio and - for us - we do not wish to be bound by such a clause - so we've
never downloaded it - and unfortunately have not had the opportunity of
trying it which seems unfortunate.

I hope that is of some assistance.

H.

---