Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ferindo Middleton Jr <fm...@verizon.net> on 2005/07/23 01:13:15 UTC

getting Tomcat 5.5 daemon/service to startup automatically on bootup?

I'm running *Tomcat/5.5.6 on* Fedora Core 4. What is the best way to get
my Tomcat server to start automatically on bootup. My server does use
SSL. I have read through the info on setting up tomcat as a daemon under
Unix at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and
this works after i run the command:

./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp ./bin/bootstrap.jar \
        -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err \
        org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap

but when the computer reboots, no daemon/service  restarts the tomcat
automatically. How do you get it to start automatically during bootup.

Ferindo

--
Ferindo Middleton
Chief Architect

Re: getting Tomcat 5.5 daemon/service to startup automatically on bootup?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Ferindo Middleton Jr" <fm...@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm running *Tomcat/5.5.6 on* Fedora Core 4. What is the best way to get
> my Tomcat server to start automatically on bootup. My server does use SSL.
> I have read through the info on setting up tomcat as a daemon under Unix
> at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html and this
> works after i run the command:
>
> ./bin/jsvc -Djava.endorsed.dirs=./common/endorsed -cp ./bin/bootstrap.jar
> \
>        -outfile ./logs/catalina.out -errfile ./logs/catalina.err \
>        org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
>

> but when the computer reboots, no daemon/service  restarts the tomcat
> automatically. How do you get it to start automatically during bootup.

In the jsvc-src/native directory where you unpacked the jsvc source code
there is a file called Tomcat5.sh.  Edit that so that it specifies the
options you want.  Then copy it to /etc/init.d.  Then cd to /etc/rc2.d (or
rc3.d if you boot to init-level three) do:
  ln -s ../init.d/Tomcat5.sh S75tomcat