Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2006/08/21 18:15:46 UTC

Re: poi.apache.org commentary

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Nick Burch wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, Nick Burch wrote:
>> What does everyone else think?
>
> Anyone? I think the main thing is:
>  do we think committers should be allowed to vote on new releases and new
>   committers?
>
> At the moment, committers aren't also PMC members, so we don't have
> that. If we think we should have, we need to move to our own TLP, and
> make all committers automatically PMC members.

Does no-one have any opinions on this?

Nick

Re: poi.apache.org commentary

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Avik Sengupta wrote:
> Well my opinion is, 'cant we just get on with it, forget all these
> organisational stuff' ... but I suppose that's quite naive.

Yeah. It's now quite some time since we voted on Yegor as a committer, but
he still doesn't have accounts etc as the vote doesn't count until we get
3 PMC members voting on it. With only 2 PMC votes in, we can't get him an
account :(

> Given the direction of Jakarta, there's a resonable argument in moving
> to a TLP. I think that's a shame, though practically I'm quite agnostic
> to the idea.

It doesn't actually look like too much work to move to a new TLP. Henri
Yandell has offered help and advice, and it probably just needs one person
to draw up the various proposals (from templates), submit to the board
etc.

Otherwise, we need to get a bunch more Jakarta PMC members (shouldn't be
too hard), and start making friends with all the other Jakarta projects.
Oh, and join a bunch of other mailing lists.

Nick

Re: poi.apache.org commentary

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
Well my opinion is, 'cant we just get on with it, forget all these
organisational stuff' ... but I suppose that's quite naive.

I dont think there's any question that committers should have votes on
new releases and new committers. In the jakarta scheme of things, that
probably does mean that we'll need to be more proactive in getting POI
committers on the PMC. We've been quite lazy on that front.. I hope to
make certain amends soon.

Given the direction of Jakarta, there's a resonable argument in moving
to a TLP. I think that's a shame, though practically I'm quite
agnostic to the idea.

Regards
-
Avik