Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Moore <bm...@vodafone.ie> on 2011/09/27 15:38:25 UTC

SMPP to SMPP using camel

Hello
Completely new to Camel, so would appreciate any expert input.
I would like to establish if Camel is a fit for SMPP to SMPP routing.
Based on initial reading of the Camel Web site, I'm thinking I would require
the following.
So basically I will have a ESME -> CAMEL SMPP consumer -> CAMEL SMPP
producer -> SMSC.
The system would have to be bi directional, so messages originated at the
SMSC  would have to be routed to the ESME also (including receipts and
typical origination messages (submit sm, data sm, enquire etc etc)

Would Camel be a fit for such integration?
Could you point me towards sample routing, sample code for handling the SMPP
integration.
In time I would want to have HTTP to SMPP also.

Would appreciate any input.

RE: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Zhemzhitsky Sergey <Se...@troika.ru>.
Hi guys,

As I understood the speech is about something like SMPP-proxy, isn't it?

Best Regards,
Sergey Zhemzhitsky

Posted by rehmanadil <re...@gmail.com>.
We are also looking for a similar solution that provides SMPP Router/Gateway
functionality by supporting incoming and outgoing SMPP connections. Has
anyone got experience with building something similar using open-source
products?

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by mattg <ma...@fronde.com>.
Just wondering if there's any update on this?
We have a similar requirement with our gateway application. We currently use
the Came SMPP component to act as a SMPP client and send/receive messages
with SMSCs; but we now have a potential requirement to build a SMPP
interface for our users. So in essence we'll be acting as a SMPP server
(SMPP proxy).
I've had a quick look at the jsmpp examples and see that it can be used to
create a SMPP server.

Has anyone had any experience incorporating the JSMPP server code into a
Camel app?

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
May I misunderstood something, but I don't think this is possible with the
underling jsmpp library.

Christian

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Moore <bm...@vodafone.ie>.
never mind, I was able to open the Jira.

Allow CAMEL to act as SMPP router/gateway

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Moore <bm...@vodafone.ie>.
sure, have you a link to instructions for creating a Jira? can I use same
login and password as I do for this forum?

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Moore <bm...@vodafone.ie>.
ok, I think that Ioannis Canellos has clearly outlined what I was hoping to
do, but had indicated that this is not possible.
Would this be considered a limitation of Camel that could be (easily)
enhanced or a limitation in the SMPP component (that could also be
considered for enhancement).

Thank you.

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
 It also provides a consumer (Receiver) to receive messages (short messages
> or
> short message delivery notifications) from the SMSC in your Camel powered
> application (from("smpp:...")). I think this is all you need, isn't?

I think that the user needs more. He also wants to be able to accept
connections from an external ESME so that he can act as a gateway between an
external ESME and the SMSC. This would require to be able to accept incoming
connections from the ESME and also consume mobile terminating messages in
order to forward them to SMSC. However, this is not possible

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Moore <bm...@vodafone.ie>.
Hi,

No, I dont want CAMEL to play the function of an ESME per se.

I want it to play the function of a broker/gateway between SMPP peers (
peers fulfilling the role of both ESMEs and SMSCs).

Is this possible through route configuration or otherwise?

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Re: SMPP to SMPP using camel

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
I think that this is not possible. While it will be able to connect to the
SMSC for sending MTs and receiving MOs I don't think that it is possible to
talk back to an ESME using SMPP.
Camel will be suitable for playing to role of ESME or talk to an ESME
through an other protocol, but not SMPP.

I am not sure if jsmpp which is the library that is used for SMPP could
support that, if jsmpp can support it maybe we can add it to camel too.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*