Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ashley Morgan <hi...@googlemail.com> on 2007/11/29 00:28:01 UTC

Xerxes Logo Proposal

Hi there,

Found your request for a logo as thought I would have a shot at it, attached
is my proposal (png) feel free to comment,

Thanks, Ash

--
Sorry in advance for the bad English in this email.... and i often get my
mords wuddled up.

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@cyberneko.net>.
Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Yes, it really was named [1] after the Xerces Blue [2] butterfly. The
> Persian king is "Xerxes" I think; slightly different spelling.

Bit of useless information: X-e-r-c-e-s is the French spelling
of the Persion king, Xerxes, which was used when naming the
Xerces Blue butterfly.

We named the parser after the butterfly since: a) the name
starts with an "X"; b) the butterfly is from the San Francisco
and we did the development in the Bay Area; and c) "Big Blue",
IBM, donated the code that is the Xerces parser.

-AndyC

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Yes, it really was named [1] after the Xerces Blue [2] butterfly. The
Persian king is "Xerxes" I think; slightly different spelling.

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xerces-j-dev&m=86952145012664&w=2
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerces_Blue

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Eric Schwarzenbach <Er...@alumni.upenn.edu> wrote on
01/29/2008 09:40:06 PM:

> Was the butterfly really what this project was named for? I'd always
> assumed it was the Persian kings.
>
> No offense to this beautiful design, or to this great software project,
> but a butterfly strikes me as about the least appropriate metaphor I can
> think of for an XML parser. The last thing I would call working with XML
> APIs is "pretty". I'd be curious to know if there is some reasoning for
> how the butterfly might work metaphorically.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric
>

> Ashley Morgan wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Found your request for a logo as thought I would have a shot at it,
> > attached is my proposal (png) feel free to comment,
> >
> > Thanks, Ash
> >
> > --
> > Sorry in advance for the bad English in this email.... and i often get
> > my mords wuddled up.

Re: Xerces Logo Proposal

Posted by ke...@us.ibm.com.
Getting half-serious for a moment: The minimal ASCII glyph for a butterfly
might something like >!<, or <>!<> or <X> ... Color it irridescent blue,
elaborate it, and that might give us a starting point.

(Note that I've fixed the subject spelling.)

_____________________________________
"... Three things see no end: A loop with exit code done wrong,
A semaphore untested, And the change that comes along. ..."
  -- "Threes" Rev 1.1 - Duane Elms / Leslie Fish
(http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/songs/threes-rev-11.html)

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Eric Schwarzenbach <Er...@alumni.upenn.edu>.
keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> . I stopped thinking of butterflies as excessively delicate the first
> time I saw a crowd of them congregate around a dead turtle (presumably
> in search of trace elements).

Now THAT might be an interesting metaphor for XML parsing. I don't
suppose anyone is going to go for adding a dead turtle to the logo?

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by ke...@us.ibm.com.
Note that some of the APIs have their own logos/mascots, though some of
those were never publicised outside their working groups. (The DOM's mascot
is a weasel, adopted after a discussion of whether a particular phrase was
or was not an instance of "weasel words" but also reflecting the weasel's
ability to slide through narrow branching passages to retrieve what it's
looking for.)

I have no problem with a butterfly as the Xerces mascot. I stopped thinking
of butterflies as excessively delicate the first time I saw a crowd of them
congregate around a dead turtle (presumably in search of trace elements).
Life does what it has to, tries to do it well, and if it's pretty that's a
bonus.

______________________________________

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Eric Schwarzenbach <Er...@alumni.upenn.edu>.

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

Yes!!

Nice work Ash. I really like the integration of the Apache feather.

Cheers, jas.

RE: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Jesse Pelton <js...@PKC.com>.
I assume the ovals are intended to be a gradient.  (They're too subtle
to see on my LCD monitor.)  If so, you might also make use of PNG's
alpha (transparency) channel to allow the gradient to work on any
background.  (But not if it's a pain.  I don't want to make anyone's
life difficult.)

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Jason Stewart <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Elliotte Harold <er...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps I'm just a butterfly geek, but I would much prefer a color
scheme that looked a little more like an actual Xerces butterfly (that
is, violet, not red).

Otherwise, it looks good.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Posted by Ashley Morgan <hi...@googlemail.com>.
Hi there,

Attached is a PNG with transparent BG and the source SVG file,

Thanks for your help, I have now "claimed" this task on the google code
site,

Regards

RE: Xerxes Logo Proposal

Re: Xerxes Logo Proposal