Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by John ORourke <jo...@o-rourke.org> on 2008/02/22 10:52:30 UTC

apache process size

Hi folks,

I'm trying to make my apache processes as small as possible, and one
thing I find lacking in optimisation guides is actual real world process
sizes.

So... how big is yours? ;)

Mine start at around 60MB, jump to 80MB when my app is initialised, and
can peak at 120MB during their lifetime.  For reference I tried making
the tiniest possible one with everything stripped out, and that was
still 40MB - is this normal?

cheers
John

Re: apache process size

Posted by Colin Wetherbee <cw...@denterprises.org>.
John ORourke wrote:
> Might be showing off my lack of unix admin knowledge here but using
> 'top', it's the value of the 'virt' column - ie. the biggest possible
> process size if the whole thing was resident.  I've been using it to
> work out how many clients I should limit apache to, but looking at it
> the 'res' figure never seems to get anywhere near the 'virt' figure.
> Time to rewrite my assumptions I think!

I get about 90 MB "virt" (70 MB "res") per process, running some pretty
heavy custom mod_perl templating software with some AJAX stuff that uses
(gasp) Python as a back-end via mod_python, along with DBI (DBD::Pg).

Sometimes, the load average hits 6.0, but everything always seems to
load quickly enough. :)

Linux 2.6.17.13, Debian, 2 x Pentium IV 3.0 GHz.

Colin

Re: apache process size

Posted by John ORourke <jo...@versatilia.com>.

Re: apache process size

Posted by "Roberto C. Sánchez" <ro...@connexer.com>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:52:30AM +0000, John ORourke wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to make my apache processes as small as possible, and one
> thing I find lacking in optimisation guides is actual real world process
> sizes.
>
> So... how big is yours? ;)
>
> Mine start at around 60MB, jump to 80MB when my app is initialised, and
> can peak at 120MB during their lifetime.  For reference I tried making
> the tiniest possible one with everything stripped out, and that was
> still 40MB - is this normal?

Your question does not contain enough information.  What is your basis
the 60MB, 80MB, 120MB, etc, numbers?

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

Re: apache process size

Posted by Clinton Gormley <cl...@traveljury.com>.
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 09:52 +0000, John ORourke wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm trying to make my apache processes as small as possible, and one
> thing I find lacking in optimisation guides is actual real world process
> sizes.
>
> So... how big is yours? ;)

I'm running on 32-bit linux 2.6, using apache 2.2.4, mod_perl 2.03,
running this site : http://announce.jpress.co.uk

A typical httpd process looks like this (as output by the smem.pl script
at http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~bmaurer/memory/smem.pl )

VMSIZE:     136832 kb
RSS:         42236 kb total
             25796 kb shared
                64 kb private clean
             16376 kb private dirty

> Mine start at around 60MB, jump to 80MB when my app is initialised, and
> can peak at 120MB during their lifetime.  For reference I tried making
> the tiniest possible one with everything stripped out, and that was
> still 40MB - is this normal?

Depends what you're measuring - it sounds like you're including VM in
there as well.

Clint