Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mikhail Dvorkin <mi...@gmail.com> on 2024/04/11 17:12:46 UTC

Feature request: distinguish between disconnect to server and to proxy

I received this error when doing 'svn update':

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …

I spent many minutes trying to find why the perfectly working server
would not grant a connection.

The solution was: for years in my TortoiseSVN settings a proxy server
was selected, and it simply has been working until it happened to be
turned off.

So I ask for one of two features:

A) When "unable to connect to a server", make an extra check whether
it is possible to connect to the proxy server (if one is selected). If
this is the case, make the error more verbose, like:

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …, also unable
to connect to a proxy …

B) Simply make the error message more verbose if the proxy server is
selected in the settings, like:

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …
(Note: proxy … was used for connection)

Re: Feature request: distinguish between disconnect to server and to proxy

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den tors 11 apr. 2024 kl 19:17 skrev Mikhail Dvorkin <
mikhail.dvorkin@gmail.com>:

> I received this error when doing 'svn update':
>
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …
>
> I spent many minutes trying to find why the perfectly working server
> would not grant a connection.
>
> The solution was: for years in my TortoiseSVN settings a proxy server
> was selected, and it simply has been working until it happened to be
> turned off.
>
> So I ask for one of two features:
>
> A) When "unable to connect to a server", make an extra check whether
> it is possible to connect to the proxy server (if one is selected). If
> this is the case, make the error more verbose, like:
>
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …, also unable
> to connect to a proxy …
>
> B) Simply make the error message more verbose if the proxy server is
> selected in the settings, like:
>
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …
> (Note: proxy … was used for connection)

Hi,

While I think the idea in principle sounds good, I think the impact is
rather limited. Considering the low number of active contributors in the
project, I'm not sure if anyone will step up to actually implement this,
sorry.

On the other hand, this is a REALLY good place to start if you would like
to get involved in Subversion development. A patch would be more than
welcome on dev@subversion.apache.org.

I took a quick look at the code and I think the error comes from the call
to serf_connection_create2() in /subversion/libsvn_ra_serf/serf.c (see
[1]). You probably need to create a new error code and then check for this
error code in /subversion/libsvn_ra/ra_loader.c (see [2]).

Kind regards,
Daniel

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_ra_serf/serf.c?revision=1905955&view=markup#l567