Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/13 13:06:42 UTC

[Graph] Build fails (unit tests)

Hello.

After the migration from SVN to "gitbox", we noticed that the
_first_ build failed due to 3 unit tests not passing (see e.g. the
Travis report  referred to the JIRA report[1]).

The move to "git" was intended to make it easier for people
willing to revive the [Graph] project.

IMO, the top priority is now to fix the failing unit tests;
personally, I'm not going to merge any PR before that is
achieved (and please refer to the JIRA identifier[1] in the
corresponding commit/PR).

Furthermore, I'd suggest that branch "modularization"
becomes the reference branch (in place of "master"[2]),
since the latest batch of work for [Graph] was done on
that one, seemingly leaving "master" behind (TBC by
Amey?).  [This path might avoid subsequent work of
merging the fixed (but outdated) "master" into the more
recent branch that is bound to replace it anyway...]

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-510
[2] Even though the names of the maven "modules" should
be changed (for the sake of code layout "standardization"
with other modular components such as "Commons RNG").

Re: [Graph] Build fails (unit tests)

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 8:50 PM Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.

> > Hello Gilles,
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> After the migration from SVN to "gitbox", we noticed that the
> >> _first_ build failed due to 3 unit tests not passing (see e.g. the
> >> Travis report  referred to the JIRA report[1]).
> >>
> >> The move to "git" was intended to make it easier for people
> >> willing to revive the [Graph] project.
> >>
> >> IMO, the top priority is now to fix the failing unit tests;
> >> personally, I'm not going to merge any PR before that is
> >> achieved (and please refer to the JIRA identifier[1] in the
> >> corresponding commit/PR).
> >>

> > Indeed, that's what I think too. I have tried to stop bleeding
> > commons-graph for now PR https://github.com/apache/commons-graph/pull/3,
> > along with some more small nitty-gritty.
> >

> >> Furthermore, I'd suggest that branch "modularization"
> >> becomes the reference branch (in place of "master"[2]),
> >> since the latest batch of work for [Graph] was done on
> >> that one, seemingly leaving "master" behind (TBC by
> >> Amey?).  [This path might avoid subsequent work of
> >> merging the fixed (but outdated) "master" into the more
> >> recent branch that is bound to replace it anyway...]
> >>

> > I am on the way to push my changes to master regarding modularization. I
> > have more intention to push changes in master now.
> >
> > 1. I have just stopped bleeding due to failing test cases, with TODO
> > marking though, so we can pull this work later once the
> > "modularized" version of the comons-graph becomes stable in "master".
>
> Please open a JIRA report for this issue (with one sub-task
> per module created, if you wish)
> Upon completion please submit a single PR, with a single
> commit per sub-task/module.
>
> Since this was a sandbox, abandoned, project, I don't care
> about what, and how many, changes that will involve: I won't
> have time to review them anyway.
> If others have a different opinion, they should indicate their
> willingness to perform more fine-grained reviews.
>
> If no one steps forward, then please try and follow the code
> style used in "Commons RNG" (i.e. change the style of the
> source code: e.g. no space after an opening parenthesis or
> before a closing one, etc.).  Perhaps someone can suggest
> some IDE plugin that will automatically update the whole
> code base...
>

> > 2. I'm comparing each and every class from master to a modularized
> version
> > of graph to make sure we don't miss anything behind from master.
>
> +1
> Thanks!
>
> > 3. we should not take my merge in functional code in the meantime, other
> > related to Travis, Builds, Coverall is ok to accept as it
> > doesn't interfere with /src.
>
> I didn't get what you mean.
>
> sorry for my English,  I meant that taking chances in the current master
is of no use. All addition/changes related to graph, algorithms, tests
should go to a new modularized code. all the changes in /src should be
stopped for now. other changes outsite /src can be merged.

Regards,
Amey

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

> Hello Gilles,
>
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> After the migration from SVN to "gitbox", we noticed that the
>> _first_ build failed due to 3 unit tests not passing (see e.g. the
>> Travis report  referred to the JIRA report[1]).
>>
>> The move to "git" was intended to make it easier for people
>> willing to revive the [Graph] project.
>>
>> IMO, the top priority is now to fix the failing unit tests;
>> personally, I'm not going to merge any PR before that is
>> achieved (and please refer to the JIRA identifier[1] in the
>> corresponding commit/PR).
>>

> Indeed, that's what I think too. I have tried to stop bleeding
> commons-graph for now PR https://github.com/apache/commons-graph/pull/3,
> along with some more small nitty-gritty.
>

>> Furthermore, I'd suggest that branch "modularization"
>> becomes the reference branch (in place of "master"[2]),
>> since the latest batch of work for [Graph] was done on
>> that one, seemingly leaving "master" behind (TBC by
>> Amey?).  [This path might avoid subsequent work of
>> merging the fixed (but outdated) "master" into the more
>> recent branch that is bound to replace it anyway...]
>>

> I am on the way to push my changes to master regarding modularization. I
> have more intention to push changes in master now.
>
> 1. I have just stopped bleeding due to failing test cases, with TODO
> marking though, so we can pull this work later once the
> "modularized" version of the comons-graph becomes stable in "master".

Please open a JIRA report for this issue (with one sub-task
per module created, if you wish)
Upon completion please submit a single PR, with a single
commit per sub-task/module.

Since this was a sandbox, abandoned, project, I don't care
about what, and how many, changes that will involve: I won't
have time to review them anyway.
If others have a different opinion, they should indicate their
willingness to perform more fine-grained reviews.

If no one steps forward, then please try and follow the code
style used in "Commons RNG" (i.e. change the style of the
source code: e.g. no space after an opening parenthesis or
before a closing one, etc.).  Perhaps someone can suggest
some IDE plugin that will automatically update the whole
code base...

> 2. I'm comparing each and every class from master to a modularized version
> of graph to make sure we don't miss anything behind from master.

+1
Thanks!

> 3. we should not take my merge in functional code in the meantime, other
> related to Travis, Builds, Coverall is ok to accept as it
> doesn't interfere with /src.

I didn't get what you mean.

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 8:27 PM Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Gilles,
>
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 6:36 PM Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> After the migration from SVN to "gitbox", we noticed that the
>> _first_ build failed due to 3 unit tests not passing (see e.g. the
>> Travis report  referred to the JIRA report[1]).
>>
>> The move to "git" was intended to make it easier for people
>> willing to revive the [Graph] project.
>>
>> IMO, the top priority is now to fix the failing unit tests;
>> personally, I'm not going to merge any PR before that is
>> achieved (and please refer to the JIRA identifier[1] in the
>> corresponding commit/PR).
>>

> Indeed, that's what I think too. I have tried to stop bleeding
> commons-graph for now PR https://github.com/apache/commons-graph/pull/3,
> along with some more small nitty-gritty.
>

>> Furthermore, I'd suggest that branch "modularization"
>> becomes the reference branch (in place of "master"[2]),
>> since the latest batch of work for [Graph] was done on
>> that one, seemingly leaving "master" behind (TBC by
>> Amey?).  [This path might avoid subsequent work of
>> merging the fixed (but outdated) "master" into the more
>> recent branch that is bound to replace it anyway...]
>>

> I am on the way to push my changes to master regarding modularization. I
> have more intention to push changes in master now.

typo mistake, I have *no more* intension to push in master :-)

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
Hello Gilles,

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

> You are welcome to implement your suggestion

I want to, but this repo is out of my ability.
Although I do have some experiences in ICPC, the graph part is handled by
my team mates, and I personally nearly know nothing about any complex graph
algorithms.

Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月13日周六 下午9:31写道:

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.