Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org> on 2020/11/13 16:42:00 UTC

[MJLINK] Question about junit4 / junit5

Hello,

there are currently two PRs for the maven-jlink-plugin.
One removes support for junit4.
Another one removes support for junit5.

On both PRs are discussions with valid points for one or the other.
The best one (in my opinion as a contributor) would be to "ask the
community first" if a single plugin with junit-jupiter/junit5 is
wanted or if all plugins must make the switch more or less at the same
time.

The maven-jlink-plugin does not have a lot of tests, as its first
version will be released soon. There is no legacy code which needs to
be ported, but a few tests could be converted to get rid of the
vintage-engine.

Other arguments are about IDE support, "freshness" of junit-jupiter,
support time frame of junit4, etc.

Therefore I would like to see a discussion about the pro and cons and
maybe a vote if this plugin can make the switch to junit-jupiter.

Opinions on this are much appreciated!

Thanks!
Ben

Re: [MJLINK] Question about junit4 / junit5

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 13.11.20 17:42, Benjamin Marwell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> there are currently two PRs for the maven-jlink-plugin.
> One removes support for junit4.
> Another one removes support for junit5.
>
> On both PRs are discussions with valid points for one or the other.
> The best one (in my opinion as a contributor) would be to "ask the
> community first" if a single plugin with junit-jupiter/junit5 is
> wanted or if all plugins must make the switch more or less at the same
> time.

We can migrate plugin after plugin. There is no need to go in one step...

> The maven-jlink-plugin does not have a lot of tests, as its first
> version will be released soon. There is no legacy code which needs to
> be ported, but a few tests could be converted to get rid of the
> vintage-engine
very easy to migrate...

> Other arguments are about IDE support, "freshness" of junit-jupiter,
> support time frame of junit4, etc.

All IDE's are supporting JUnit Jupiter Eclipse, IntelliJ, VSCode,
Netbeans ?

No problem at all..

> Therefore I would like to see a discussion about the pro and cons and
> maybe a vote if this plugin can make the switch to junit-jupiter.

JUnit Jupiter offers a lot of options which can help for a lot of things
in the future...

  * Extension points (very flexible)
  * Nested classes (categorizing tests etc.)
  * Disable/Enable based on Java versions / OS's /
  * Dynamic Tests
  * Test execution order
  * Parallelizing tests
  * Parameterized tests (much better and easier support than JUnit 4)

just to mention a few topics..

> Opinions on this are much appreciated!

Just simply a go for JUnit Jupiter (aka JUnit 5)...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise