Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2015/10/22 09:11:06 UTC

[QUESTION about OFBIZ-6618] growerptest Selenium component out or in OFBiz?

Hi,

There is a WIP in the GrowErp community on a growerptest Selenium component, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-6618

The commit r1709516 introduced a small change to have it working OOTB when you put it in hot-deploy

The question is: do we agree with this way of doing and let the GrowErp community handles the component out of OFBiz, or should we handle it ourselves?

Thanks for your opinions

Jacques

Re: [QUESTION about OFBIZ-6618] growerptest Selenium component out or in OFBiz?

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.
Nicolas,

as explained before this java call  is just a hook to an external java
program which is called when the new test type is used which was added
to the XSD as part of the patch. The required code can be added to the
hot-deploy directory. We provided an example component with
documentation how to use this hook in the growerptest component at
https://gerrit.antwebsystems.com/#/admin/projects/growerptest

The component has the Apache 2.0 license, so free to download and
contains all the documentation and example tests.

Please study that first?

Regards,
Hans

PS1. Nicolas, you forced last time the change in the 'addPartyRole'
which I gave up on and which caused other problems in the system
(SFA,setup and others) which i told you would happen. If you want this
hook taken out , i am fine and i will contribute less and less to the
core system because all the lengthy discussions.

PS2.Please note that this is also the last time i have something to say
about this change.

Hans Bakker
CEO, http://antwebsystems.com

Re: [QUESTION about OFBIZ-6618] growerptest Selenium component out or in OFBiz?

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Hello,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Gil,

That's also my opinions, because this component is technical. I even wonder if it should not be part of the framework; though that would be against
the work done by the new framework proposition team at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/A+New+Application+Framework+Design

On the other hand, thinking more about specialpurpose components, I wonder if components like
     ebay
     ebaystore
     googlebase
     googlecheckout
     passport
     next comming magento component
     [you name it...]
should not be maintained apart of the ASF repo but documented in our wiki.

If we keep such components in OFBiz, one thing we could maybe do is creating sub-folders, for instance under ecommerce for the components above, or
another ecomcomplements component to put them. We begin to have much of them in an unstructured way...

Jacques

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Hi Pierre, Jacques and all,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Hans, inline

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hans

The component with its own menu system sounds interesting.

Remember at Apachecon we talked about the possibility of setting up an OFBiz
Business Demo as an OFBiz component to showcase a a little of what OFBiz can
do. This could be a good use for such functionality.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [QUESTION about OFBIZ-6618] growerptest Selenium component out or in OFBiz?

Posted by Hans Bakker <h....@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Jacques, thanks for bringing this up.

1. this changes in the framework is a pretty general one, any external
test system can use it. It is not specific for the component we
provided. It is actually just an example that Ruud created, on how you
can use this 'hook'. Yes the change is not more than a 'hook'
2. We should implement more of these kind of hooks. I have another one:
Did you ever try to create a component with its own menu system? We have
the growerp backend as an example how to do that. Is the community
interested in this menu hook?
3. Further, this growerptest component we provide is not a work in
progress any more, it has the apache 2 license, can be included into
ofbiz if you want, and as I said before, i can even provide peer-write
access to the component for people who want to contribute.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

Regards, Hans

On 22/10/15 14:11, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a WIP in the GrowErp community on a growerptest Selenium
> component, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-6618
>
> The commit r1709516 introduced a small change to have it working OOTB
> when you put it in hot-deploy
>
> The question is: do we agree with this way of doing and let the
> GrowErp community handles the component out of OFBiz, or should we
> handle it ourselves?
>
> Thanks for your opinions
>
> Jacques

Hans Bakker
CEO, http://antwebsystems.com

Re: [QUESTION about OFBIZ-6618] growerptest Selenium component out or in OFBiz?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I mean: having the component maintained outside of OFBiz (official) svn repo as part of the GrowErp Git repo.
Hans, who I think is the owner of the GrowErp Git repo, said he could grant access to those interested.

You can find all that by yourself reading the Jira...

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,