Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2004/06/25 19:17:52 UTC

Cocoon Docs SVN Repository?

To start off the new documentation effort, I'd like to use subversion
and html.

This would give us the possibility of simply navigating the latest docs
in source control in an easy way, and given how well tortoiseSVN works
also to make it easier for doc writers.

Is it ok if I ask infrastructure to create a cocoon/newdocs space in svn
so we can start working on it? Later on it can be moved under the final
cocoon destination with no effort (thanks to SVN :-)

WDOT?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Wiki status (Was: Cocoon Docs SVN Repository?)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:
> A few random questions:
>
> What is the status of the apache.org Wiki?  Is it stable & usable?

Not yet. What you see is the result of the latest test
conversion. Upayavira asked for comments and there was
not much reply, so lets assume that we are ready to do
the final conversion.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=108583779606493

Gianugo suggested this upcoming FirstFriday (July 2)
would be good to do a big group effort. We would do
the conversion as the first thing, then do do a lot
of editing and cleanup, set up the front matter, etc.

> We could start fleshing out docs stuff over there.

Use the current Wiki at cocoondev until then.

> Should we have a cocoon-docs subwiki, or should we just consider
> the whole thing the docs?

What would be the benefit of a subwiki?

> Should we be coordinating all this on -docs?

See other mail today. We decided to keep the discussion
on dev and users so that everyone is involved, not just
a small band of overworked enthusiasts.

--
David Crossley

Re: Cocoon Docs SVN Repository?

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> To start off the new documentation effort, I'd like to use subversion
> and html.

+1.  I would also like to see how well XHTML2 works for this, but I know Forrest doesn't support it
yet.  I like the idea of using some sort of "nice" editor (e.g. OpenOffice), but I think it would be
best to just stick to something basic.  I guess the problem with writing in DocBook is that you'd
need a fancy XML editor in order to be productive... so let's keep it simple for now.

> This would give us the possibility of simply navigating the latest docs
> in source control in an easy way, and given how well tortoiseSVN works
> also to make it easier for doc writers.
>
> Is it ok if I ask infrastructure to create a cocoon/newdocs space in svn
> so we can start working on it? Later on it can be moved under the final
> cocoon destination with no effort (thanks to SVN :-)

+1.

A few random questions:

What is the status of the apache.org Wiki?  Is it stable & usable?  We could start fleshing out docs
stuff over there.

Should we have a cocoon-docs subwiki, or should we just consider the whole thing the docs?

Should we be coordinating all this on -docs?

Tony

Re: Cocoon Docs SVN Repository?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> To start off the new documentation effort, I'd like to use subversion
> and html.
>
> This would give us the possibility of simply navigating the latest docs
> in source control in an easy way, and given how well tortoiseSVN works
> also to make it easier for doc writers.
>
> Is it ok if I ask infrastructure to create a cocoon/newdocs space in svn
> so we can start working on it? Later on it can be moved under the final
> cocoon destination with no effort (thanks to SVN :-)
>
> WDOT?

Yes, i agree - use SVN and start with simple doc format
(we can always transform that into some other type
of source document later).

Why not name the repository cocoon/docs ?

--
David Crossley