Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by da...@d2.com on 2004/03/05 21:12:02 UTC

using xerces-p on IRIX

After spending a couple of days fighting with it, I have managed to
get the xerces-p package to work on IRIX. I have identified two
specific problems, both of which I have hacked around, rather than
solved. I figured I would start by sending this info out to y'all in
the hopes that someone will have quick answers. If not, and there are
further tests or other assistance I can provide, let me know. I am not
on this mailing list, but am happy to help work out these problems so
that others can benefit from my small piece of problem-finding.

I have not done extensive testing, so I won't claim that the below fix
all of the problems, but so far my results have been good with these
small changes.

First off, this is all on IRIX 6.5, using the MIPS pro compiler
version 7.3.1.2m. The perl I am using is 6.5.1.

The changes I needed to make to get this to work were:

    1) In xerces-c:
       file: src/xercesc/util/Compilers/MIPSproDefs.hpp

       I uncommented the line

       #define XERCES_HAS_CPP_NAMESPACE

       The c++ build is fine with this line left in, and I had
problems building the perl module with it left out. This step may be
unnecessary, but there doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to not
use this feature if it works.

    2) In xerces-c (but should be fixed in xerces-p!):
       Files: src/xercesc/framework/MemBufInputSource.[ch]pp

       The constructors for class MemBufInputSource have an argument:

       const bool             adoptBuffer

       For some reason the build of Xerces.cpp in xerces-p is ending
up with this argument defined as char instead of bool. The result is
that attempts to use this function result in an undefined reference
from the loader.

     Presumably somewhere in the xerces-p build bool is getting
defined to char? I tried explicitly casting this argument to bool, but
the loader still reports it as char, which seems to support this
belief.

    3) In xerces-p:
       Files: t/*.t

       For some reason a lot of the tests hang when I try to run
them. The problem seems to be the references to blib. If I comment out
or remove 'use blib' and '-Mblib' they run just fine and pass.

   I have no idea how to go about trying to debug this, but am happy
to help if someone can give me some starting suggestions.

Thanks to all of you for your work in creating and maintaining this
package, it sure has made my life a lot easier.

Let me know what else I can do to help get this certified as
IRIX-safe, and explicitly supported in the next release.

	   Cheers,

	   daniel

Dr. Daniel Maskit     Senior Visual Effects Baker
Digital Domain  300 Rose Avenue, Venice, CA 90291
danielm@d2.com                 310-314-2800 x2049

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
                                      -Raoul Duke