Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Andy Engle <st...@andyengle.com> on 2004/03/18 21:58:18 UTC

Struts cookbook

Hi all,

I am a huge fan of O'Reilly's "cookbooks", which seem to contain a good
deal of useful material for doing all sorts of different things.  Today
I thought about the idea of making a Struts cookbook, although two
things would be different from how O'Reilly does it:

1. It wouldn't be a published book, but rather a web site, and
2. I'm not going to be writing all of it

With that in mind, I would like to ask all of you (who I have received
some excellent advice from, by the way) if any of you would be
interested in contributing material to such a web site.  I simply don't
have the time or experience to come up with everything, but I'm sure
that collectively we could put something together that could be pretty
slick.  I could easily host the site, and perhaps simply organize all
of the information I receive from you.  I appreciate all the
information already available with Struts, but I also like it when I
can simply "look it up" and be done with it.

I would like to see recipes posted there that cover everything from how
to do stuff with tags, iBatis, tiles, and whatever else.  Even delving
into other stuff like web services and how that ties in with Struts
would be good.  I don't want to focus so much on concept as I would
simply how to get something done quickly and easily.

What do you think?  Good idea?  Dumb idea?  I'm interested in your
thoughts on such a thing.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Andy

Re: Struts cookbook

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
"Hubert Rabago" <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> --- Nick Heudecker <ni...@systemmobile.com> wrote:
> > Wouldn't this be a great use of the (already existing) Struts Wiki?
>
> That's right.  I don't think it supports attachments, though.

The current one does not, but we (meaning Struts) will be moving to a new
wiki pretty soon, and that one does support attached files.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Struts cookbook

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
--- Nick Heudecker <ni...@systemmobile.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't this be a great use of the (already existing) Struts Wiki?

That's right.  I don't think it supports attachments, though.  I really got

Re: Struts cookbook

Posted by Nick Heudecker <ni...@systemmobile.com>.
Wouldn't this be a great use of the (already existing) Struts Wiki?

On 2004-Mar-18 13:03, Hubert Rabago wrote:
> I've had this idea for months now and actually had some entries already
> written (with full web apps to illustrate) and I've also started collecting
> cookbook entries from responses to this mailing list.  I was in the process
> of writing the app to hold them late last year but got sidetracked.
>
> So yes, I'm interested and would certainly participate.  What did you have in
> mind?  Where do you plan to host this?  What would the interface be?  Would
> it contain just code samples or would there be some way to also attach actual
> files/classes?
>
> Hubert
>

> --- Andy Engle <st...@andyengle.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am a huge fan of O'Reilly's "cookbooks", which seem to contain a good
> > deal of useful material for doing all sorts of different things.  Today
> > I thought about the idea of making a Struts cookbook, although two
> > things would be different from how O'Reilly does it:
> >
> > 1. It wouldn't be a published book, but rather a web site, and
> > 2. I'm not going to be writing all of it
> >
> > With that in mind, I would like to ask all of you (who I have received
> > some excellent advice from, by the way) if any of you would be
> > interested in contributing material to such a web site.  I simply don't
> > have the time or experience to come up with everything, but I'm sure
> > that collectively we could put something together that could be pretty
> > slick.  I could easily host the site, and perhaps simply organize all
> > of the information I receive from you.  I appreciate all the
> > information already available with Struts, but I also like it when I
> > can simply "look it up" and be done with it.
> >
> > I would like to see recipes posted there that cover everything from how
> > to do stuff with tags, iBatis, tiles, and whatever else.  Even delving
> > into other stuff like web services and how that ties in with Struts
> > would be good.  I don't want to focus so much on concept as I would
> > simply how to get something done quickly and easily.
> >
> > What do you think?  Good idea?  Dumb idea?  I'm interested in your
> > thoughts on such a thing.  Looking forward to hearing from you.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Andy

Nick Heudecker
System Mobile, Inc.
Email: nick@systemmobile.com
Phone: 734.604.9192
Web: http://www.systemmobile.com

Re: Struts cookbook

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Yup, sounds like something that the StrutsProjectPages can already fulfill.
:)

Re: Struts cookbook

Posted by Andy Engle <st...@andyengle.com>.
Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've had this idea for months now and actually had some entries
> already written (with full web apps to illustrate) and I've also
> started collecting cookbook entries from responses to this mailing
> list.

Ahh ok, good deal.

Re: Struts cookbook

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.