Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Felipe Arturo Polanco <fe...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/10 18:37:38 UTC

Dnsmasq exploit, VR vulnerable?

Hello,

Researchers have found an exploit in dnsmasq code which allows code
execution, I was wondering if the Virtual Router uses Dnsmasq for DHCP
assignment and also how can we protect it from being exploited.

Will there be a new System VM with patches applied? or can we just apt-get
update the VR and the patch will be applied?

Thanks,

Re: Dnsmasq exploit, VR vulnerable?

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@autonomiccs.com.br>.
The Dnsmasq security problem announced in [1] affects Apache CloudStack
(ACS) virtual routers (VRs). The steps for upgrading are as follows.

  * For each type of hypervisor in use in the cloud you should check the
    template in use. The parameter that indicates the template in use
    is: router.template. <Hypervisor>. Thus, if you want to check the
    template in use for XenServer, the parameter to be checked is:
    router.template.xenserver. This parameter holds the name of the
    template that is used by ACS to instantiate a VR.
  * After identifying the templates you must execute the downloads of
    them and start them in a player like Virtualbox. To access the
    templates the user is "root" and the password "password". With the
    VM running on the player (eg Virtualbox)
  * Run: `aptitude update; aptitude install dnsmasq`
  * After that, you must load (register) the updated templates in ACS
    again. In the registration process it is necessary to mark the
    templates with type "routing" and the option of "HVM" must be
    deselected. In addition, you should not make this template public or
    featured.
  * With the new templates in ACS, you should change the parameters
    "router.template. <Hypervisor>", to reflect the name of the newly
    update template.

Doing that, the VR template will be updated with the Dnsmasq 2.62-3 +
deb7u4 package that contains the fix for the problem reported in [1].
However, this will only be valid for new VRs. To update the VRs already
running there are two possibilities: ( i) destroying them and waiting
for ACS to recreate them (this generates unavailability for users' VMs),
or (ii) accessing VRs and using the "aptitude update" ; aptitude install
dnsmasq "

[1]
https://coreos.com/blog/dns-vulnerability-patched-in-kubernetes-and-tectonic

On 10/10/2017 3:37 PM, Felipe Arturo Polanco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Researchers have found an exploit in dnsmasq code which allows code
> execution, I was wondering if the Virtual Router uses Dnsmasq for DHCP
> assignment and also how can we protect it from being exploited.
>
> Will there be a new System VM with patches applied? or can we just apt-get
> update the VR and the patch will be applied?

Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Dnsmasq exploit, VR vulnerable?

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Felipse,

We've worked with Simon Kelly (dnsmasq author, and debian maintainer) to get a security patch for dnsmasq [1] on Debian 7 (Wheezy) that is the base on ACS4.6-4.10+ systemvmtemplates.

As Rafael mentioned, you can in the meanwhile apt-get update+install dnsmasq and restart the service on your existing VRs. There is no change required in CloudStack to mitigate the issue, we are working on an advisory and new systemvmtemplates that should be made public soon.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/dnsmasq

Regards.

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com