Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Paul R Brown <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/26 09:26:35 UTC

minor Rakefile issue w.r.t. tools.jar

All --

There's a dependency on tools.jar in the current Rakefile, but
tools.jar doesn't really exist.  It's a figment of SUN's JDK
structure, and it's not present in Apple, IBM, or potentially other
JDKs.  As is, Ode builds via rake  on MacOS without issue if line 375
is commented out.

Implementing JDK detection magic in Ode's build file doesn't make
sense, so this is more of an enhancement suggestion for buildr.  For
the moment, wrapping it with if !PLATFORM.index('darwin') is enough
to keep me happy.

Any objections?

-- Paul

Re: minor Rakefile issue w.r.t. tools.jar

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
On 3/26/07, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:

> Rather than re-invent a build system and hope for the best, we're evolving
> Buildr alongside the Ode build. So although you can use Buildr as a Gem
> anywhere else, the Ode Rakefile assumes you have Buildr installed locally:
>
> cd ode
> svn co svn://www.intalio.org/usr/local/svn/repos/buildr/trunk buildr
> rake clean package

Actually, that would be:

svn co http://www.intalio.org/buildr/trunk/ buildr

Re: minor Rakefile issue w.r.t. tools.jar

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
Rather than re-invent a build system and hope for the best, we're evolving
Buildr alongside the Ode build. So although you can use Buildr as a Gem
anywhere else, the Ode Rakefile assumes you have Buildr installed locally:

cd ode
svn co svn://www.intalio.org/usr/local/svn/repos/buildr/trunk buildr
rake clean package

And as a general rule, svn update Buildr whenever you see an update to the
Rakefile. Often a patch to one depends on the other.

Assaf

--
CTO, Intalio
http://www.intalio.com

Re: minor Rakefile issue w.r.t. tools.jar

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.
> [Alex wrote:]
> This is perhaps a good opportunity to provide some contextual explanation
> for those you haven't noticed the Rakefile yet :)  We've been exploring the
> possibility of switching the current Maven2 build system to something less
> fragile and easier to customize to our purpose.   This experiment led us to
> "buildr", which is a library/layer on top of Ruby Rake.

Oops.  Cat?  Bag?...

It is a nice thing to have a compact specification for the build, all
in one place.

> Buildr:  http://buildr.rubyforge.org/
> Ruby Rake:  http://rake.rubyforge.org/
> gem install rake     (if you don't have Rake installed already)
> gem install buildr
> and run "rake package" to build Ode.

Except that won't work; you need the "tip" buildr from Intalio's svn.
I'll hold off on posting, but if it's intended for general use, I can
add it.  I'll also take a look at the JBI component build.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
I'm trying something else. I added Java.tools which returns the
tools.jardependency, if found, otherwise an empty dependency.

So the line now reads:
compile.with Java.tools

Let me know how it works on the Mac.

Assaf