Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2014/07/26 12:43:16 UTC

[ALL] Clirr doesn't work with Java 8 (and it seems to be our fault ;-)

Hi,

when building [lang] with Java 8 I get the following error [1]: Caused by:
org.apache.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in
constant pool: 18

So it looks like Clirr is using a BCEL version that doesn't support Java 8.
Can anybody tell me what the current state of BCEL is? We have version 6 in
trunk. the latest release is 5.2. So I assume we're breaking BC. Can we
release a fix for 5.2 that can handle Java 8?

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] https://paste.apache.org/khuq

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [ALL] Clirr doesn't work with Java 8 (and it seems to be our fault ;-)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
We talked about pushing 6.0 out a long time ago. We need an RM. I'm
unavail, moving, and so on.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Because it's a major released with many new features, it deserves a version bump.

Emmanuel Bourg

On July 27, 2014 12:08:55 PM CEST, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>Hi Emmanuel,
>
>why do we release it as BCEL 6 if it's binary compatible?
>
>Benedikt

>> BCEL 6 is ready to be released and it is binary compatible, that will
>fix
>> clirr. I'll prepare the vote this week.
>>
>> Emmanuel Bourg
>>

>> On July 27, 2014 10:18:51 AM CEST, Benedikt Ritter
>> wrote:
>> >Thanks for the pointer. How do you feel about pushing out a 5.3 that
>> >only
>> >contains the Java 8 fixes?

>> >Caused
>in

>support
>> >Java
>> >version 6
>> >Can we

>> >--
>> >http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> >http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> >http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> >http://github.com/britter
>>

>> Emmanuel Bourg
>

>--
>http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>http://github.com/britter

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [ALL] Clirr doesn't work with Java 8 (and it seems to be our fault ;-)

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Emmanuel,

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
BCEL 6 is ready to be released and it is binary compatible, that will fix clirr. I'll prepare the vote this week.

Emmanuel Bourg

On July 27, 2014 10:18:51 AM CEST, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>Thanks for the pointer. How do you feel about pushing out a 5.3 that
>only
>contains the Java 8 fixes?

>> I think the trunk handles some or all of Java 8 now. See BCEL-174,
>> BCEL-175.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > when building [lang] with Java 8 I get the following error [1]:
>Caused
>> by:
>> > org.apache.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in
>> > constant pool: 18
>> >
>> > So it looks like Clirr is using a BCEL version that doesn't support
>Java
>> 8.
>> > Can anybody tell me what the current state of BCEL is? We have
>version 6
>> in
>> > trunk. the latest release is 5.2. So I assume we're breaking BC.
>Can we
>> > release a fix for 5.2 that can handle Java 8?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Benedikt
>> >
>> > [1] https://paste.apache.org/khuq
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> > http://github.com/britter
>> >

>> --
>> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
>>

>--
>http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>http://github.com/britter

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [ALL] Clirr doesn't work with Java 8 (and it seems to be our fault ;-)

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>