Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by ke...@us.ibm.com on 2010/12/16 22:28:11 UTC

Quesiton about old Xalan-C code

Just trying this on the chance that someone might recognize it...

Does anyone happen to remember a Xalan-C bug which caused the creation of
temporary trees which had no DocumentFragment root node, and if so do you
happen to remember what caused it?

(Can't switch the customer to current Xalan-C. And unfortunately we
haven't yet been able to reproduce the failure in the lab. So, while I
continue to chase it, I'm hoping that one of you will have seen and fixed
this symptom  and be able to hand me a miracle cure. <grin/>)

Thanks for pondering it, anyway!

______________________________________
"... Three things see no end: A loop with exit code done wrong,
A semaphore untested, And the change that comes along. ..."
  -- "Threes" Rev 1.1 - Duane Elms / Leslie Fish (
http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/songs/threes-rev-11.html)

Re: Quesiton about old Xalan-C code

Posted by ke...@us.ibm.com.
Unfortunately this is actually an issue in a back-level version of our
internal branch of Xalan-C, which limits what I can tell/show you.

(Actually, given the symptoms we're seeing, I wouldn't bet against a wild
pointer in the customer's code -- they're seeing SIGILL one one platform
and SIGSEGV on another, which strongly suggests stack damage. Patching the
findRoot operation to tolerate unrooted nodes makes their problem mostly
go away, but the real question is why we wound up with an unrooted node in
the first place.)

Nodeset is a possibility, though. Thanks for the thought.

______________________________________
"... Three things see no end: A loop with exit code done wrong,
A semaphore untested, And the change that comes along. ..."
  -- "Threes" Rev 1.1 - Duane Elms / Leslie Fish (
http://www.ovff.org/pegasus/songs/threes-rev-11.html)

From:
David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>
To:
xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
Date:
12/18/2010 03:40 PM

On 12/16/2010 1:28 PM, keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Just trying this on the chance that someone might recognize it...
>
> Does anyone happen to remember a Xalan-C bug which caused the creation
> of temporary trees which had no DocumentFragment root node, and if so do
> you happen to remember what caused it?
Hi Joe,

It sounds vaguely familiar, but it would be helpful if you provide more
details. There were a few bugs around the nodeset extension function,
simply because the extension is at odds with data model.

> (Can't switch the customer to current Xalan-C. And unfortunately we
> haven't yet been able to reproduce the failure in the lab. So, while I
> continue to chase it, I'm hoping that one of you will have seen and
> fixed this symptom and be able to hand me a miracle cure. <grin/>)
What's the version they're using, and do you have some simple inputs to
reproduce it? If it's fixed, I'm probably the one who did it, so looking
at it may jog my  memory.

Dave

Re: Quesiton about old Xalan-C code

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.