Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/09 14:11:54 UTC

Can APR use verisign certs ?

Hi all,

I'm using apr 1.1.3 with tomcat 5.5.18 and openssl . During my
research I noticed that self-signed certs seem to work , but I'm in
doubt if pay type $$$ certs from verisign will work. We've submitted
our csr to verisign , and if I understand correctly we need to use the
crt from versign with apr / tomcat / ssl . Can anyone shed some light
on this ?

Thanks,
Robert

Re: Can APR use verisign certs ?

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/9/07, Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com> wrote:
> robert lazarski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm using apr 1.1.3 with tomcat 5.5.18 and openssl . During my
> > research I noticed that self-signed certs seem to work , but I'm in
> > doubt if pay type $$$ certs from verisign will work. We've submitted
> > our csr to verisign , and if I understand correctly we need to use the
> > crt from versign with apr / tomcat / ssl . Can anyone shed some light
> > on this ?
> >

> The sole distinction between self-signed and verifed certificates
> is client dependent only. If the server certificate is not signed
> by the one the web browser trusts it will give you the message
> box with that notice.
>
> So if your self-signed works, the verisign-signed will work
> as well. Its completely irrelevant to OpenSSL.

That makes sense. However, on the client side I'm getting a "There's a
problem with the sites security certificate."  That's in IE6 , on
firefox I get a similair popup . We have registered the csr with
verisign. Is this solely a client side and verisign issue. Any clues ?

Re: Can APR use verisign certs ?

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
robert lazarski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using apr 1.1.3 with tomcat 5.5.18 and openssl . During my
> research I noticed that self-signed certs seem to work , but I'm in
> doubt if pay type $$$ certs from verisign will work. We've submitted
> our csr to verisign , and if I understand correctly we need to use the
> crt from versign with apr / tomcat / ssl . Can anyone shed some light
> on this ?

The sole distinction between self-signed and verifed certificates
is client dependent only. If the server certificate is not signed
by the one the web browser trusts it will give you the message
box with that notice.

So if your self-signed works, the verisign-signed will work
as well. Its completely irrelevant to OpenSSL.

Regards,
Mladen.