Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Art Welch <ar...@EASTPOINT.COM> on 2002/03/13 19:45:32 UTC

RE: [PROPOSAL] FOP+iText = FOP-NG -next generation- (was: mergin g two libraries)

I would not think that adding iText would necessarily preclude the other
renderers. My guess would be that iText could interface via a Renderer
interface as the current Renderers do. My concern would be that the current
renderers share a lot of code (either be reusing classes or by copying
source). Ideally there would be even greater reuse in the future (without
iText). In addition to saving coding effort, this helps ensure that the
output produced by the various renderers (especially PDF, PCL, and PS) is
similar. With PDF rendering in a separate project I am concerned that there
may be a reduction of code reuse in this area and more difficulty in
maintaining consistent output from different renderers. Perhaps the benefits
outweigh the costs.

Just my $0.02,
Art