Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jo...@aol.com on 2000/12/10 15:58:23 UTC

Gunther

In one message I got today Gunther writes...

> On Linux I think installing Apache with Mod_Perl is
> almost TRIVIAL. [ed. emphasis addded ] What might be
> needed is some shell scripts that automate the
> process to accompany the readme's.

In another message I got today Gunther writes...

> I find installing mod_perl when I haven't done it in
> months VERY ANNOYING [ed. emphasis added] because I
> have to keep hunting around readme's to discover
> the cmdlines that I used.

I don't think you have reconciled your assumptions.
If it is trivial, it is not very annoying.
If it very annoying for someone who has done it many
times before, then it is not trivial.

-JoshNarins

Re: Gunther

Posted by barries <ba...@slaysys.com>.
On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 05:42:28PM +0100, Robin Berjon wrote:

> I find installing mod_perl trivial in that it doesn't
> require anything that's actually hard to do.

Just thinking is hard to do sometimes ;-).

A config front end and a way of caching config settings would both be
nice.  I find myself resorting to EVERYTHING=1 all too often.  But it's
not annoying enough for me to write up a tool...

- Barrie

Re: Gunther

Posted by Robin Berjon <ro...@knowscape.com>.
At 09:58 10/12/2000 -0500, JoshNarins@aol.com wrote:
>I don't think you have reconciled your assumptions.
>If it is trivial, it is not very annoying.
>If it very annoying for someone who has done it many
>times before, then it is not trivial.

A contradiction indeed, but I think I understand how one could contradict
oneself that way. I find installing mod_perl trivial in that it doesn't
require anything that's actually hard to do. I do find it somewhat annoying
however even though I've done it many times because there are a lot of
options for mod_perl as well as for apache (not to mention Perl if you're
rebuilding that too) and I rarely use the same options twice so that I have
to think of everything that I might want to enable/disable, etc instead of
reusing a .makepl_args.mod_perl file or some such script.

-- robin b.
I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing!

Re: Gunther

Posted by Gunther Birznieks <gu...@extropia.com>.
OK, You caught me. :)

Regardless, I personally would like example shell scripts in the
distribution with most possible cmdline parameters commented out with some
small snippet of doc saying what that option does. Which is what I think
the point was.

At 09:58 AM 12/10/00 -0500, JoshNarins@aol.com wrote:
>In one message I got today Gunther writes...
>
> > On Linux I think installing Apache with Mod_Perl is
> > almost TRIVIAL. [ed. emphasis addded ] What might be
> > needed is some shell scripts that automate the
> > process to accompany the readme's.
>
>In another message I got today Gunther writes...
>
> > I find installing mod_perl when I haven't done it in
> > months VERY ANNOYING [ed. emphasis added] because I
> > have to keep hunting around readme's to discover
> > the cmdlines that I used.
>
>I don't think you have reconciled your assumptions.
>If it is trivial, it is not very annoying.
>If it very annoying for someone who has done it many
>times before, then it is not trivial.
>
>-JoshNarins

Gunther Birznieks (gunther.birznieks@extropia.com)
eXtropia - The Web Technology Company