Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by kyle dawkins <ky...@centralparksoftware.com> on 2002/08/06 18:19:47 UTC

mod_perl memory use on FreeBSD vs. Linux

Hey guys

We just migrated our mod_perl servers from Linux to FreeBSD and so far
it's been very successful (it's even working with DSO... go figure!).
However, I have been noticing some different behaviour and I'm
wondering if someone can enlighten me as to why it might be occurring.

Under Linux, our very-heavy mod_perl processes were reported as being
about 30MB but with about 25MB is shared (lots of caching!).  Under
FreeBSD, "top" only gives us "SIZE" and "RSS", which seem to be close
to their Linux values, but I can't see the "SHARE" amount and I'm not
100% sure how to find out exactly what it is, and with some simple
arithmetic, it seems that under FreeBSD, it's sharing a lot less.  Has
anyone else experienced this?  I find it really difficult to debug
memeoiry problems on FreeBSD... anyone got any tips?

Cheers

Kyle Dawkins
Central Park Software
http://www.centralparksoftware.com