Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Aleksey Yakovlev <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/23 19:24:11 UTC

Zookeeper on two clusters?

Hi,

We have two clusters but I can't just ssh from one cluster to another - I
have to enter a password, use some authentication, go through a load
balancer etc
It would be very useful for us to use the Zookeeper as a common storage
place for small configuration data, accessible from both these clusters.

So, I'm thinking about starting like 5 servers on each cluster and merge
them into a single quorum - anybody did that?
If yes, how to configure this double-side quorum?

(I'm completely new to the Zookeeper)

Thanks
AY

Re: Zookeeper on two clusters?

Posted by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>.
Aleksey -

The clusters must be able to communicate over TCP through some user
configurable ports. If this is possible, then as Camille says, you can
configure ZK normally with machines in both locations - no need for any
special quorum setup.

Henry

--
Henry Robinson
Software Engineer

Re: Zookeeper on two clusters?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
This is when you set the voting weight of a member of a ZK cluster to zero.
 That means that they cannot help form the quorum and if they disappear, it
doesn't much matter.  They can still be used for read replication and can
forward updates to the master.

This is nice because a secondary data center will always have good and
relatively current data when the link is up, but will never cause a slow
down or cause the master to freeze if the link is down.

Posted by "Fournier, Camille F." <Ca...@gs.com>.
Perhaps what you want is more of a messaging solution... Have you looked into, say ActiveMQ or RabbitMQ? You can use ZK for this sort of confirmation stuff but it feels a bit like overkill.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Aleksey Yakovlev <
aleksey.yakovlev@gmail.com> wrote:

> My example with files sending is just one most evident example. My scripts
> need to talk to each other as well. For example, "I'm exiting with code 99,
> so all the guys waiting for me - please stop waiting - I'll revive with a
> new identity (which I don't know now) - please wait for a signal ABC and
> you
> will know"

So for this, you would have a process in data center 1 that maintains an
ephemeral znode in two ZK clusters.  One is in data center 1 and the other
is in data center 2.

Clients of this process would look at this ephemeral znode to determine the
current address of this process.  On partition or process failure, then the
correct ephemerals would disappear.

Re: Zookeeper on two clusters?

Posted by Aleksey Yakovlev <al...@gmail.com>.
Ted, Camille:

My example with files sending is just one most evident example. My scripts
need to talk to each other as well. For example, "I'm exiting with code 99,
so all the guys waiting for me - please stop waiting - I'll revive with a
new identity (which I don't know now) - please wait for a signal ABC and you
will know"

I didn't look into any messaging system yet. My biggest problem is
connectivity (load balancers, bastions etc. - please see my starting memo),
so I'm exploring various possibilities trying to understand their
flexibility and requirements to connectivity

BTW, what is "coordination system" exactly? I'd like to see a definition

Thanks
AY

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aleksey Yakovlev <al...@gmail.com>.
Ted:

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aleksey Yakovlev <al...@gmail.com>.
Camille:

Posted by "Fournier, Camille F." <Ca...@gs.com>.
As long as the two clusters can ping each other, just set up a single ZK cluster spread across the two, 3 or 5 nodes (total, not per cluster). Note that if these two clusters are used for business continuity purposes (spread across 2 data centers), you still risk the outage of the zookeeper if you lose one of the data centers (the one containing the majority of the ZK nodes).

There's no reason to set up 2 ZK quorums and merge them.

I need these two clusters to communicate somehow, because our distributed
system works on both of them - so we need some coordination, for example, to

Posted by Aleksey Yakovlev <al...@gmail.com>.
Mahadev:

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
Aleksey,