Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2002/11/27 13:17:56 UTC

Developing with Avalon

hi gang,

I've just went through this paper replacing references to the component
package with references to the service package. It'd be good if someone
could proofread?

What puzzles me is that the doc generation for some reason doesn't
process framework.xml and then reports a missing link? Does this mean a
syntax error in that file?

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:45, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 13:29, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:17, Leo Simons wrote:
> > > hi gang,
> > >
> > > I've just went through this paper replacing references to the component
> > > package with references to the service package. It'd be good if someone
> > > could proofread?
> >
> > would you mind reflecting the changes into the FORREST-branch branch. The
> > reason being that I hope to get time to update our website sometime soon.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-avalon/src/xdocs/developing/?only
>_with_tag=FORREST-branch
>
> those files weren't on that branch....

They moved to

jakarta-avalon/src/documentation/content/developing/

(or similar)

> do I understand correctly you want me to
>
> - check out FORREST-branch
> - copy changed files there
> - commit forrest branch

+1

except for framework.xml which needs to be hand-munged because version 1.2 got
bodged

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:46, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:36, Leo Simons wrote:
> > got and installed forrest from cvs, got forrest branch and ran forrest.
> > Everthing seems to work, except the dev guide is simply not being built.
> > What's wrong?
>
> It has not been converted and links to it are getting stripped out. Still
> need to do some work.

And if you want to do it go into
src/documentation/resources/stylesheets/avfilterlinks.xsl and remove the bits
that strip author/ and developing/ uris.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 21:46, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:36, Leo Simons wrote:
> > got and installed forrest from cvs, got forrest branch and ran forrest.
> > Everthing seems to work, except the dev guide is simply not being built.
> > What's wrong?
>
> It has not been converted and links to it are getting stripped out. Still need
> to do some work.

glad I'm not an idiot (atm). Will travel :D

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Hey people,

got and installed forrest from cvs, got forrest branch and ran forrest.
Everthing seems to work, except the dev guide is simply not being built.
What's wrong?

I've attached the output of /opt/forrest/bin/forrest -v

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 13:29, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:17, Leo Simons wrote:
> > hi gang,
> >
> > I've just went through this paper replacing references to the component
> > package with references to the service package. It'd be good if someone
> > could proofread?
>
> would you mind reflecting the changes into the FORREST-branch branch. The
> reason being that I hope to get time to update our website sometime soon.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-avalon/src/xdocs/developing/?only_with_tag=FORREST-branch

those files weren't on that branch....

do I understand correctly you want me to

- check out FORREST-branch
- copy changed files there
- commit forrest branch

> > What puzzles me is that the doc generation for some reason doesn't
> > process framework.xml and then reports a missing link? Does this mean a
> > syntax error in that file?
>
> The file is not well formed XML. You have to revert to 1.1, re-apply your
> changes and commit it. I founf the same problem when working on forrestizing
> it.

gotcha. No more time now, will look at the forrest stuff later.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:17, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>hi gang,
>>
>>I've just went through this paper replacing references to the component
>>package with references to the service package. It'd be good if someone
>>could proofread?
>
> would you mind reflecting the changes into the FORREST-branch branch. The
> reason being that I hope to get time to update our website sometime soon.

Yes, good suggestion.

>>What puzzles me is that the doc generation for some reason doesn't
>>process framework.xml and then reports a missing link? Does this mean a
>>syntax error in that file?
>
> The file is not well formed XML. You have to revert to 1.1, re-apply your
> changes and commit it. I founf the same problem when working on forrestizing
> it.

The latest CVS version of Forrest now reports these errors correctly,
before it simply reported that a page (link==linked page) couldn't be
generated for some reason.
Grab the latest CVS with no fear, it's stable.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Developing with Avalon

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.