Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by lawern <la...@agentes.de> on 2010/05/07 14:17:28 UTC

Is a repository on a network file share possible?

Hi,

I use JackRabbit 2 in my application as an embedded library.
Is it possible to create a repository on a network file share (UNC path:
\\my.server\repository)?

Currently, I use the following code to create the repository:

     repository = new TransientRepository(new
File("\\my.server\repository"));

Unfortunately, I get the following Windows (XP) error message:

    "Delayed Write Failed" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174)

And the following exception in Jackrabbit:

    javax.jcr.NoSuchWorkspaceException: security
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.getWorkspaceInfo(RepositoryImpl.java:786)
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.getSystemSession(RepositoryImpl.java:985)
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.getSecurityManager(RepositoryImpl.java:471)
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.login(RepositoryImpl.java:1496)
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.TransientRepository.login(TransientRepository.java:360)
        at
org.apache.jackrabbit.commons.AbstractRepository.login(AbstractRepository.java:123)

Does anyone know a solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Lars Werner

Re: Is a repository on a network file share possible?

Posted by lawern <la...@agentes.de>.
Hi Dennis,

yes I have already tried this.
With drive letters I get the same error.

Regards,

Lars

RE: Is a repository on a network file share possible?

Posted by Mike Wilson <mi...@hotmail.com>.
On 7-5-2010 14:17, lawern wrote:
>      repository = new TransientRepository(new
> File("\\my.server\repository"));

I'm guessing that you have adjusted the code for the mail, but
if not, I would point out that the string literal above will
be converted to

  \my.server<carriage return>epository

due to Java's escape sequences inside string literals. This
could explain the NoSuchWorkspaceException...

Best regards
Mike Wilson

Re: Is a repository on a network file share possible?

Posted by Dennis van der Laan <d....@rug.nl>.
Hi Lars,

Have you tried mounting the network share to a drive letter?

Regards,
Dennis

--
Dennis van der Laan, MSc
Centre for Information Technology

Re: Is a repository on a network file share possible?

Posted by lawern <la...@agentes.de>.
Hi,

many thanks you for your responses.
But I've just found the answer yourself:

The problem was an old version of Samba (3.0.24) on our server. With Samba
3.4.7 everything works fine.

Thanks,

Lars