Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com> on 2007/09/20 17:01:47 UTC

Compatability between AMQ 4.1.1 and 5.0 Snapshot?

What is the expected compatability between a JMS consumer using the AMQ 4.1.1
libraries and a server running a 5.0 snapshot?

It seems to me that messages are not being received although the consumer
appears to be registered.
I've encountered similar issues with the latest stable build of CMS where it
is not consuming messages.  If I downgrade to AMQ 4.1.1 server then the
messages start getting consumed.  The snapshot I have of 5.0 is not the most
up to date (few weeks old now).

So, should I expect these two things to work together (just a bug in the of
5.0) or are the builds generally incompatible?

Thanks,

-Dominic

Re: Compatability between AMQ 4.1.1 and 5.0 Snapshot?

Posted by hbruch <ho...@isb-ag.de>.
Hi,

as 4.1.1 brokers won't interoperate with 5.0 brokers, will 5.0 brokers be
able to restore messages persisted by a 4.1.1 broker?

Thanks,
Holger

Posted by Daryl Richter <ng...@comcast.net>.
I hope this is why my ServiceMix jms consumers (which would be 4.1.1
clients) stopped working when connected to recent ActivemQ builds.
(I reported this both here and on ServiceMix list).

I'll retest and let you know.

--
Daryl
http://itsallsemantics.com

"I see this as coming down to mutual respect. I want to respect the
others I communicate with enough to tell them my truth without
reservation and I want to respect them enough to listen to their
truth. I want to respect their good intentions enough to believe that
we can work past our disagreements."

     -- Kent Beck, 2006

Re: Compatability between AMQ 4.1.1 and 5.0 Snapshot?

Posted by Daryl Richter <ng...@comcast.net>.
I have also verified that this has fixed my issue of ServiceMix being
unable to consume from queues on an ActiveMQ 5.0 broker.

On Oct 1, 2007, at 3:42 AM, DominicTulley wrote:

> Thanks Hiram, I rebuilt this morning from subversion and it works now.
>
> -Dominic

Daryl
http://itsallsemantics.com

"I’m afraid of the easy stuff… its always harder than it seems…"
     -- Bill Hampton, 2006

Re: Compatability between AMQ 4.1.1 and 5.0 Snapshot?

Posted by DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com>.

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Hi,

If you get a fresh build of activemq 5.x, it will once again be
compatible with old 4.x clients.

Regards,
Hiram

On 9/28/07, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:
> I have just verified that a small incompatibility did sneak in.  I
> will be fixing this up shortly.
>
> On 9/20/07, DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com> wrote:
> >
> > What is the expected compatability between a JMS consumer using the AMQ 4.1.1
> > libraries and a server running a 5.0 snapshot?
> >
> > It seems to me that messages are not being received although the consumer
> > appears to be registered.
> > I've encountered similar issues with the latest stable build of CMS where it
> > is not consuming messages.  If I downgrade to AMQ 4.1.1 server then the
> > messages start getting consumed.  The snapshot I have of 5.0 is not the most
> > up to date (few weeks old now).
> >
> > So, should I expect these two things to work together (just a bug in the of
> > 5.0) or are the builds generally incompatible?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Dominic
> > --

> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Compatability between AMQ 4.1.1 and 5.0 Snapshot?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
I have just verified that a small incompatibility did sneak in.  I
will be fixing this up shortly.

On 9/20/07, DominicTulley <do...@telelogic.com> wrote:

> What is the expected compatability between a JMS consumer using the AMQ 4.1.1
> libraries and a server running a 5.0 snapshot?
>
> It seems to me that messages are not being received although the consumer
> appears to be registered.
> I've encountered similar issues with the latest stable build of CMS where it
> is not consuming messages.  If I downgrade to AMQ 4.1.1 server then the
> messages start getting consumed.  The snapshot I have of 5.0 is not the most
> up to date (few weeks old now).
>
> So, should I expect these two things to work together (just a bug in the of
> 5.0) or are the builds generally incompatible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Dominic

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com