Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@apache.org> on 2017/02/14 20:43:10 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Storm 1.0.3 Released

The Apache Storm community is pleased to announce the release of Apache Storm version 1.0.3.

Storm is a distributed, fault-tolerant, and high-performance realtime computation system that provides strong guarantees on the processing of data. You can read more about Storm on the project website:

http://storm.apache.org

Downloads of source and binary distributions are listed in our download
section:

http://storm.apache.org/downloads.html

You can read more about this release in the following blog post:

http://storm.apache.org/2017/02/14/storm103-released.html

Distribution artifacts are available in Maven Central at the following coordinates:

groupId: org.apache.storm
artifactId: storm-core
version: 1.0.3

The full list of changes is available here[1]. Please let us know [2] if you encounter any problems.

Regards,

The Apache Storm Team

[1]: https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/v1.0.3/CHANGELOG.md
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Storm 1.0.3 Released

Posted by Petr Janeček <Ja...@seznam.cz>.
Hello,

thank you for your work on Storm. There is a few questions me and my colleagues stumbled upon while working with the framework for tha past few months, and that peaked when the new version was released:

1. Because of "Supervisor v2" ("Simplify Threading Model of the Supervisor", STORM-2018), the new version 1.0.3 needs the ability to create symlinks ... while in Local Mode, on Windows. Both `LocalCluster.submitTopology()` and `Testing.withSimulatedTimeLocalCluster() ... Testing.completeTopology()` do this, and it's a major pain for local development where our IDEs constantly run tests in local mode.

    Yes, we know about http://storm.apache.org/releases/1.0.3/windows-users-guide.html (which 404s for 1.0.1 and 1.0.2, by the way), and running our IDE as Administrator helps, but it might at least be a good idea to add this little change into the release notes - "Running in local mode now requires the symlink creation permission, too.". Or don't introduce new major features in .build versions :(. The question: Is there any setting we might turn on to revert to the old 1.0.2 behaviour?

2. Since 1.0.3, every time we run any test in _local mode_, there is an extra directory being created in the *root of our project*: ./logs/workers-artifacts/topologytest-random-uuid, and it contains a single file, "worker.yaml". Not cool. What do we have to set up to move this? I went through the release notes and could not find anything even remotely close.

3. How does `Testing.completeTopology()` know the topology is completed? We're not acking any tuples, so I'd expect the method to return once all tuples have internally timed out (or the `CompleteTopologyParam` timeout has passed). However, the method returns much sooner (sooner than we'd say our topology is "completed"), implying a more clever strategy. Is this deterministic? Are there any knobs to turn?

4. Does local mode not honor `conf.registerSerialization()`? This seems strange, but if we're sending an instance of  `OurData` class in local mode, the serialization fails with `NotSerializableException`, like this:

        java.io.NotSerializableException: com.our.company.data.OurData
        	at org.apache.storm.utils.Utils.javaSerialize(Utils.java:236)
        	at org.apache.storm.thrift$serialize_component_object.invoke(thrift.clj:172)
        	at org.apache.storm.testing$complete_topology.doInvoke(testing.clj:514)
        	at clojure.lang.RestFn.invoke(RestFn.java:1124)
        	at org.apache.storm.testing4j$_completeTopology.invoke(testing4j.clj:63)
        	at org.apache.storm.Testing.completeTopology(Unknown Source)

     ...even though we have used `conf.registerSerialization(OurData.class, OurDataSerializer.class);` Slapping `Serilizable` on the class fixes the issue, but obviously that's not the solution - we don't want to change our class because of local testing, and we definitely want local testing to use the same serialization mechanism as production. I'm very sure there's a lot of people using this functionality, so we probably just overlooked something? We even tried:

        conf.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_TESTING_ALWAYS_TRY_SERIALIZE, true);  // Thanks for fixing this in 1.0.3!
        conf.put(Config.TOPOLOGY_FALL_BACK_ON_JAVA_SERIALIZATION, false);

    By the way, as far as I know, Kryo can serialize nonserializable classes, too, via using the `FieldSerializer`. Is there any hidden option to enable this by default instead of Java serialization? Do you have any plans on using this instead of Java serialization?

Thank you in advance for any responses, we've been scratching our heads lately.
Petr Janeček

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Xor <an...@gmail.com>.

​

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tibor Kiss <tk...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Taylor,

The posted announcement link is a 404 atm:
http://storm.apache.org/2017/02/14/storm103-released.html

- Tibor

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@apache.org>.