Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jonathon Norcross <Jo...@sumtotalsystems.com> on 2022/02/04 15:30:50 UTC

Config Provider Question

Hi All,

Can the Config Provider be specified at the connector level or is the configuration only available at the worker level (docker configuration)?

Here are our observations:

  1.  When we specify the config provider at the connector level then when adding the connector, the validation for the connector fails.
  2.  When we specify the config provider at the worker level and then add the connector then validation is successful.
  3.  When we specify the config provider at both levels and add the connector then validation is successful.
     *   If we then delete the worker level configuration and restart kafka connect then connector still operates correctly
     *   If we then delete the connector and try to re-add it then the validation fails again

Example connect configuration:
{
"config.providers": "uda",
"config.providers.uda.class": "com.my.kafka.config.provider.uda.MyConfigProvider",
"config.providers.uda.param.tenantkey": "mytenant",
"config.providers.uda.param.url": "http://tenantlocation<http://tenantlocation/>",
"connector.class": "io.debezium.connector.sqlserver.SqlServerConnector",
"database.dbname": "${uda:UUD_DB_NAME}"
}

Example worker configuration:
CONNECT_CONFIG_PROVIDERS_UDA_PARAM_URL: http://tenantlocation<http://tenantlocation/>
      CONNECT_CONFIG_PROVIDERS_UDA_PARAM_TENANTKEY: "mytenant"
      CONNECT_CONFIG_PROVIDERS: "uda"
      CONNECT_CONFIG_PROVIDERS_UDA_CLASS: " com.my.kafka.config.provider.uda.MyConfigProvider"

Related documentation and links:
https://docs.confluent.io/platform/current/connect/security.html#externalizing-secrets

Thanks