Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/22 09:56:15 UTC

Does anybody work about transaction on cassandra ?

Hi all,

I need transaction support on cassandra, so wondering is anybody work on it ?

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: Does anybody work about transaction on cassandra ?

Posted by Mason Hale <ma...@onespot.com>.
You might also consider using a Software Transactional Memory[1] approach. I
haven't personally tried it, but there is a Scala/Java framework named Akka
that provides both STM features and Cassandra support. Should be worth a
look. Here's a nice write-up from someone who has already done some
exploring: http://codemonkeyism.com/cassandra-scala-akka/

 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_transactional_memory
 [2] http://doc.akkasource.org/

Mason Hale
http://www.onespot.com

Posted by dir dir <si...@gmail.com>.
>No, it just means they don't have dependencies on each other.  In this
>case, it means you could create a transactional layer on top of
>cassandra, without having to make it part of the core.

Now I Understand, thank you.

Posted by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch>.
Ok in this particular context it means no dependencies.

Thanks for your precision.

Kind regards,

Benoit.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch>.
"orthogonal" means "90 degrees".  Two lines are orthogonal if the
cross at 90 degrees.

Two ideas are orthogonal means that they are not compatible.

Transactions is orthogonal with Cassandra's design means that it will
require a lot of work and trade-off to implement transactions into
Cassandra.

Is it more clear ?

Kind regards,

Benoit

Posted by dir dir <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch>.

Posted by Cagatay Kavukcuoglu <ca...@kavukcuoglu.org>.
Better fault tolerance? Scalability to large data volumes? A combination of ZooKeeper based transactions and Cassandra may have better characteristics than RDBMS on these criteria. There's no question that trade-offs are involved, but as far as these issues are concerned, you'd be starting from a better vantage point than a SPOF relational database.

Posted by Mark Jones <MJ...@imagehawk.com>.

Posted by dir dir <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Miguel Verde <mi...@gmail.com>.