Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Rob Blomquist <ro...@verizon.net> on 2004/08/16 07:41:08 UTC

Spamassassin, rules_du_jour, and SARE only catching 50% of spam

I have been running SA for about 6 months without out much trouble, having it
catch 98 or 99% of my spam (20-40 a day), but recently, I have run into some
problems with the Bayesian filters getting corrupted, and digging around for
some new rules, I adjusted my rules, and now all sorts of easy to catch spam
are not getting caught.

I am invoking SA (spamassassin-3.0.0-0.pre4.2.3mdk)  from Kmail, by passing it
through spamc running rules_du_jour and my_rules_du_jour and using the rules:
SARE_RATWARE, SARE_BAYES_POISON_NXM, SARE_SPOOF, SARE_OEM, BOGUSVIRUS,
SARE_ADULT. Now, not only is this list getting a bit unweildly, taking about
a minute to process all uploads, but it is doing a crummy job of filtering.

My old list (trimmed default for rules_du_jour) seemed to run better with the
basic list, but all those seem to have been depreciated for the SARE stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas on what SARE lists are truly working for them? Or
how I could use SA for better results with Kmail?

Rob
--

Linux Desktop user since 2000,
Home networker since shortly after.

Linux User #183693
http://counter.li.org/

Re: Spamassassin, rules_du_jour, and SARE only catching 50% of spam

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Rob,

Sunday, August 15, 2004, 10:41:08 PM, you wrote:

RB> I have been running SA for about 6 months without out much trouble,
RB> having it catch 98 or 99% of my spam (20-40 a day), but recently, I
RB> have run into some problems with the Bayesian filters getting
RB> corrupted, and digging around for some new rules, I adjusted my
RB> rules, and now all sorts of easy to catch spam are not getting
RB> caught.

RB> I am invoking SA (spamassassin-3.0.0-0.pre4.2.3mdk)  from Kmail, by
RB> passing it through spamc running rules_du_jour and my_rules_du_jour
RB> and using the rules: SARE_RATWARE, SARE_BAYES_POISON_NXM, SARE_SPOOF,
RB> SARE_OEM, BOGUSVIRUS, SARE_ADULT. Now, not only is this list getting
RB> a bit unweildly, taking about a minute to process all uploads, but it
RB> is doing a crummy job of filtering.

I'd suggest adding SARE_GENLSUBJ-0 and 1, SARE_HEADER-0 and 1, and
SARE_HTML-0 and 1.

Are your network tests working?  Are the various network blacklists,
especially the new SURBL, doing their job? Losing the network checks
could have this type of effect.

Bob Menschel

Re: Spamassassin, rules_du_jour, and SARE only catching 50% of spam

Posted by Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org>.
On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 22:41 -0700, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> I have been running SA for about 6 months without out much trouble, having it
> catch 98 or 99% of my spam (20-40 a day), but recently, I have run into some
> problems with the Bayesian filters getting corrupted, and digging around for
> some new rules, I adjusted my rules, and now all sorts of easy to catch spam
> are not getting caught.

Is bayes still corrupted (or mis-taught)?  Could try deleting your bayes
DB and re-teaching a brand new one.  I've seen mistrained bayes DBs
cause BAYES_00 on obvious spam (giving ~a -5 score).

--
Chris Thielen

Easily generate SpamAssassin rules to catch obfuscated spam phrases
(0BFU$C/\TED SPA/\/\ P|-|RA$ES): http://www.sandgnat.com/cmos/

Keep up to date with the latest third party SpamAssassin Rulesets:
http://www.exit0.us/index.php/RulesDuJour