Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2017/01/25 17:35:15 UTC

AOO debugging revamp

Hi

For a while I've noticed how gbuild modules don't have debug symbols unless
built with the maximum debug level ("./configure --enable-debug" globally
or "build debug=true" per module) which also produces oceans of log
messages we usually don't want.

In r1780246, I've finally changed debugging in gbuild to match how dmake
works: --enable-symbols and --enable-crashdump now also add debug symbols
to gbuild modules like they do to dmake modules, and the
--enable-symbols=small option is also implemented for GCC and Clang (sorry
Windows developers, MSVC doesn't seem to have it). The only extra benefit
of --enable-debug on top of this now, is that it disables compiler
optimizations - should we disable them for --enable-symbols too?

In r1780248 I've also made Java's .class files get full debugging info
whenever C++ does.

This should vastly improve running AOO under a debugger, as we get nice
line numbers and variable names for absolutely everything :-).

Damjan

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Thank you. I've now committed the patch with some improvements in r1781019.

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
I am trying a Windows rebuild now. In the meanwhile, what debugger are you
using? Can you debug any other modules, eg. vcl which uses gbuild, or sal
which uses dmake?

It's possible that Windows also needs gb_LinkTarget_LDFLAGS += -DEBUG to
enable debugging, as per the "ifeq ($(gb_DEBUGLEVEL),2)" part of
solenv/gbuild/platform/windows.mk. If so, please try the attached patch
which should do that.

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 1/25/2017 9:35 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> For a while I've noticed how gbuild modules don't have debug symbols unless
> built with the maximum debug level ("./configure --enable-debug" globally
> or "build debug=true" per module) which also produces oceans of log
> messages we usually don't want.
>
> In r1780246, I've finally changed debugging in gbuild to match how dmake
> works: --enable-symbols and --enable-crashdump now also add debug symbols
> to gbuild modules like they do to dmake modules, and the
> --enable-symbols=small option is also implemented for GCC and Clang (sorry
> Windows developers, MSVC doesn't seem to have it). The only extra benefit
> of --enable-debug on top of this now, is that it disables compiler
> optimizations - should we disable them for --enable-symbols too?
>
> In r1780248 I've also made Java's .class files get full debugging info
> whenever C++ does.
>
> This should vastly improve running AOO under a debugger, as we get nice
> line numbers and variable names for absolutely everything :-).

I compiled with the attached configure parameters, and breakpoints are
not working in main/sw/source/ui/app/docsh.cxx, "No symbols have been
loaded for this document". What should I change?

Re: AOO debugging revamp

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 25 Jan, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> For a while I've noticed how gbuild modules don't have debug symbols unless
> built with the maximum debug level ("./configure --enable-debug" globally
> or "build debug=true" per module) which also produces oceans of log
> messages we usually don't want.
>
> In r1780246, I've finally changed debugging in gbuild to match how dmake
> works: --enable-symbols and --enable-crashdump now also add debug symbols
> to gbuild modules like they do to dmake modules, and the
> --enable-symbols=small option is also implemented for GCC and Clang (sorry
> Windows developers, MSVC doesn't seem to have it). The only extra benefit
> of --enable-debug on top of this now, is that it disables compiler
> optimizations - should we disable them for --enable-symbols too?

I would say no.  Consider the case where there is a crash when the code
is compiled with optimization, but not when the code is compiled without
optimization.  Having the symbols for the former case is still useful
for finding the location of the crash even if a lot of the variables
that you might want to look at are optmiized out.