Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/02 09:11:05 UTC

Python

Hi all,

Can anybody remind me of why we bring our own Python?
Are the reasons still valid after the update to 2.7.3?

I just updated main/external_deps.lst to load the tarball from
python.org and had almost chosen the windows binary instead of the
source tarball.  I am now wondering why we don't have a build
prerequisite on a pre-installed, standard Python.

Thanks,
Andre

Re: Python

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 02.08.2012 14:48, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On 8/2/12, Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org> wrote:
>> The issue was written on the UDK site explaining this issue.
>> http://www.openoffice.org/udk/python/python-bridge.html#faq
>>
>> I already have python installed on my system, why does the office ship
>> another python ?
>>
>> Python itself is shipped with OpenOffice.org, because
>>   python must have been compiled with the same C++ compiler as the
>> office itself on all platforms that use the gcc compiler (e.g. Linux,
>> BSD, etc.).
>>   On most Unix platforms, no python shared libraries are available by
>> default (though some distributions do so). This would have meant, that
>> python UNO components cannot be executed within the office process.
>>   Python component developers need a guaranteed minimum platform which
>> they can rely on.
>>   Recognition of a python runtime at the installation system would have
>> been an extremely difficult and time consuming task becausemany
>> different python installation schemes exist.
>> Packagers of OpenOffice.org will create their own packages, for
>> example redhat or debian, without Python. The standard distribution
>> must run on low end systems.
>>
>> Can I use system's python installation ?
>>   See  here.
>> (http://www.openoffice.org/udk/python/python-bridge.html#replacing)
>>
>> Basically is a lack of support, some dev hours could permanently fix
>> this issue. But someone needs to do it.
>>

>> On 8/2/12, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can anybody remind me of why we bring our own Python?
>>> Are the reasons still valid after the update to 2.7.3?
>>>
>>> I just updated main/external_deps.lst to load the tarball from
>>> python.org and had almost chosen the windows binary instead of the
>>> source tarball.  I am now wondering why we don't have a build
>>> prerequisite on a pre-installed, standard Python.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andre
>>>

>> --
>> Alexandro Colorado
>> OpenOffice.org Español
>> http://es.openoffice.org
>>
> By the way, I think most distros already make this adjustment using
> the system python from the openoffice.org-python...deb/rpm.
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=openoffice.org-pyuno
>
> The package just include the libpyuno and objects, but no binary in itself.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

-Andre

Re: Python

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.