Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Law Green-A20134 <gr...@motorola.com> on 2005/11/28 02:45:46 UTC

[M2] Repository

Hi,

Can anyone give me a clear description of the following concepts and
their role in M2 build system:

1. remote repository
2. central repository
3. snapshot repository
4. local repository
5. private repository
6. intranet repository
7. distribution repository

Regards,
Green

Re: [M2] Repository

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Law Green-A20134 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone give me a clear description of the following concepts and
> their role in M2 build system:

They all share the same directory structure (as a file system is the
most common way -- really the only way right now --  to house a repository).

> 1. remote repository

Where you the user may get artifacts from. Can be located anywhere and
accessed by any protocol supported by Wagon (ftp/scp/http/file/...)

> 2. central repository

A special remote repository which is situated at
www.ibiblio.org/maven2/, this is the remote repository where you would
find most OSS artifacts.

> 3. snapshot repository

We do not store snapshots with released artifacts anymore. A snapshot
repository is a remote repository specifically for housing non-release code.

> 4. local repository

The directory structure on your local machine which stores all the
artifacts required by all the projects on your system.

> 5. private repository
> 6. intranet repository

Same thing and these are internal repositories. A remote repository
inside your firewall i.e a repostory not on your machine but in the
confines of your organization. You might have internal release/snapshot
repos as well.

> 7. distribution repository

Usually an internal repository where you deploy your artifacts. Here
again you may have release/snapshot repositories.

This might help as well:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

  -- Unknown