Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/01 05:43:53 UTC

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Stephen P Rufle
<st...@cox.net> wrote:
> In another part of this thread people mentioned ClearCase. If David
> Weintraub is using realistic numbers, that money could probably fund
> SupoSE quite nicely :)
>
> ClearCase license: $40,000
> Vob Server: $20,000

A ClearCase floating license costs about $4,600 per license and
includes 12 months of maintenance. Normally, you need about 8 license
per 10 developers and closer to a 1 to 2 for non developers. Maybe if
you have an operation in India and one in California, they can share a
license. Of course, if you use MultiSite, you need to double your
license cost because you need both a ClearCase license and an
MultiSite license for every VOB that uses Multisite even if a
particular user doesn't use MultiSite.

So, only $40,000 for ClearCase licenses would be for a fairly small shop.

There are several different types of servers in ClearCase. There is
the license server. This can be a fairly lightweight machine. A VOB
server. This should be a fairly heavy machine dedicated to this task.
And, it should have a good, high speed dependable SAN attached to it
with a fiber channel. You cannot every over buy hardware for the VOB
server.

Then, there's the ViewServer. Sometimes, this could be the same system
as the VOB server, but normally, you want this as a separate machine
too.

And, IBM recommends one full time ClearCase administrator for every 25 users.

So, the amounts I gave were really pretty realistic.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/31/2008 11:43:53 PM:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Stephen P Rufle
> <st...@cox.net> wrote:
> > In another part of this thread people mentioned ClearCase. If David
> > Weintraub is using realistic numbers, that money could probably fund
> > SupoSE quite nicely :)
> >
> > ClearCase license: $40,000
> > Vob Server: $20,000
>
> A ClearCase floating license costs about $4,600 per license and
> includes 12 months of maintenance. Normally, you need about 8 license
> per 10 developers and closer to a 1 to 2 for non developers. Maybe if
> you have an operation in India and one in California, they can share a
> license. Of course, if you use MultiSite, you need to double your
> license cost because you need both a ClearCase license and an
> MultiSite license for every VOB that uses Multisite even if a
> particular user doesn't use MultiSite.
>
> So, only $40,000 for ClearCase licenses would be for a fairly small
shop.

Large shops can get significant discounts, but it is still very pricey...

> And, IBM recommends one full time ClearCase administrator for every 25
users.

I'll have to tell our 4 full-time ClearCase support people they can
only support the first 100 people, not the 4000 they are doing now... :)
(Don't get me wrong, I'm *really* glad I'm not directly supporting CC...)

Kevin R.