Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steve Prior <sp...@geekster.com> on 2005/01/29 17:34:08 UTC

hostname to --fqdn?

I've tried building/testing Spamassassin 3.02 as root and then as a regular
user - both times the SPF test failed, but I've noticed that if I test as root
the system ends up thinking its hostname is --fqdn.  Are there two versions of
hostname around for Linux and only one of them has a --fqdn flag, or is it
something else?

as normal user:

t/spf.......................hostname: cannot set hostname to `--fqdn': Operation
not permitted

Steve

Re: hostname to --fqdn?

Posted by Steve Prior <sp...@geekster.com>.
I'm running Linux From Scratch v6.0.

I've now noticed that doing a non-CPAN install of Mail-SPF-Query-1.997
as root has the same problem when doing the make test.  Google hasn't
turned up a workaround for this yet.

Steve

Re: hostname to --fqdn?

Posted by Matthew Newton <mc...@leicester.ac.uk>.
On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 08:52:12AM -0800, Loren Wilton wrote:
> Hum, I thought they had a workaround for that problem.  Which
> OS/version are you on?  This is a problem in one of the Perl modules
> that SA uses; I forget which one.

This problem is caused by the Sys::Hostname::Long module. I got hit by
this on Solaris 9.

Sent an e-mail with a suggested fix to the module creator a couple of
months ago, but heard nothing back.

--
Matthew Newton <mc...@le.ac.uk>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

Re: hostname to --fqdn?

Re: hostname to --fqdn?

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Steve Prior wrote:

> I've tried building/testing Spamassassin 3.02 as root and then as a
> regular user - both times the SPF test failed, but I've noticed that
> if I test as root the system ends up thinking its hostname is
> --fqdn.  Are there two versions of hostname around for Linux and
> only one of them has a --fqdn flag, or is it something else?

There are actually more than two.  If you are interested, read this
thread.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2003-10/msg00059.html

> as normal user:
>
> t/spf.......................hostname: cannot set hostname to `--fqdn':
> Operation not permitted

You were lucky you had not done that test as root.

Bob