Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/09/22 09:14:18 UTC

OpenOffice 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

On one side it seems that we are accumulating a lot of stuff for 4.1.2,
way more than what we would normally put in a x.y.2 release. On the
other side, there are many reasons for releasing 4.1.2 reasonably soon.

So it is time to shift focus from "what to include in 4.1.2" to "what is
still missing to get 4.1.2 distributed".

This means:

- QA: Do all QA people have access to development builds where they can
verify fixed bugs? Do you believe that a better communication is needed
here? If QA needs to be "reactivated" somehow I can surely provide all
needed information, list of bugs and so on.

- Building: it was very good to see that Juergen is still able to build
on the same infrastructure used for 4.1.1. That is the safest choice for
the time being. If we can agree on a date for the binary builds, we can
minimize the effort on Juergen's side and try to get OpenOffice 4.1.2
released with one, or two, Release Candidates (including the one we
actually release). Builds from the buildbots or from Michal's new
environments are viable and welcome alternatives, and I would make this
the primary option for next versions, but they would take more time now.

- Other pre-distribution tasks like Release Notes and web pages: I
assume we are well-covered here, seeing also the people who already
volunteered in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2

Everything that is left out from 4.1.2 is not lost, and will find place
in another release, which (seeing the recent progress on trunk) could
actually be a 4.2.0 rather than a 4.1.3, and which hopefully won't take
that long to prepare. But this is another story. We should now focus on
what is left to get OpenOffice 4.1.2 distributed.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.2 and 4.2.0

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 09/22/2015 12:14 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On one side it seems that we are accumulating a lot of stuff
> for 4.1.2, way more than what we would normally put in a
> x.y.2 release. On the other side, there are many reasons for
> releasing 4.1.2 reasonably soon.
>
> So it is time to shift focus from "what to include in 4.1.2"
> to "what is still missing to get 4.1.2 distributed".

Generally, this seems good to me. (copied QA on this reply.)

> This means:
>
> - QA: Do all QA people have access to development builds
> where they can verify fixed bugs? Do you believe that a
> better communication is needed here? If QA needs to be
> "reactivated" somehow I can surely provide all needed
> information, list of bugs and so on.
>
> - Building: it was very good to see that Juergen is still
> able to build on the same infrastructure used for 4.1.1.
> That is the safest choice for the time being. If we can
> agree on a date for the binary builds,  we can minimize the
> effort on Juergen's side and try to get OpenOffice 4.1.2
> released with one, or two, Release Candidates (including the
> one we actually release). Builds from the buildbots or from
> Michal's new environments are viable and welcome
> alternatives, and I would make this the primary option for
> next versions, but they would take more time now.

This sounds reasonable. Hopefully a decision on what
critical "release blockers" to include can be made soon.

> - Other pre-distribution tasks like Release Notes and web
> pages: I assume we are well-covered here, seeing also the
> people who already volunteered in
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.2
>
> Everything that is left out from 4.1.2 is not lost, and will
> find place in another release, which (seeing the recent
> progress on trunk) could actually be a 4.2.0 rather than a
> 4.1.3, and which hopefully won't take that long to prepare.
> But this is another story. We should now focus on what is
> left to get OpenOffice 4.1.2 distributed.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Sounds good.

MzK